cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I went crazy today and I think I messed up.....

tag
linux007969
Established Contributor

I went crazy today and I think I messed up.....

Earlier today I decided to call up GE Credit Solutuons and ask them if my Paypal Smart Connect could be upgraded to a Paypal Extras Mastercard, and they transfered me to Paypal and after i was on hold for like 20 minutes finally someone came on the line, and i asked about seeing if i can app for the Mastercard and they guy at paypal was a little confused as to why i called and i said i got transfered to them from GE Capital. Then he directed my online to where i could app and i coudln't cuz it said i cannot have more than one credit product, and he said i would have to close my paypal smart connect account first and then app for the Mastercard and he connected me to Paypal Smart Connect.

When I was on with Paypal Smart connect I ended up closing my account and she said I couldn't reopen it i wanted to and would have to re apply, so i continued with the account closure anyway and she read the disclosure and asked again if i wanted to close my account and i said yes and she said your account if now closed and you can app for the Paypal Extras Mastercard using a different paypal account.

So I logged into my other Paypal account and apped and got a message saying they were unable to approve me (not a outright denial mine you) and they will email me and also mail me a letter.

So I call GE Credit Solutuons back and tell them i just applied and got the message and she asked me for some personal info and placed me on hold and came back and said she could approve me for $500 and i asked if it was for the Mastercard? and she did some checking and said it was for the Smart Connect and i asked her if she could match the limit of my Smart Connect of $2,400 that I closed and she said she can place me on hold again while she reviews and then she came back and said she could not at this time and that I am still approved for the $500 though.

So then not feeling to great I later apped for a Barclay Rewards Mastercard and got a message saying they need more time to review

then later on I apped for a Chase Freedom and got almost the same message, so I called Chase for a recon and they guy asked me if i was told to call or if i looked up the number and i said i looked up the number (but didn't say where) and he reviewed my app and came back and said "too many inquaries and account balances reaching credit limit" (probably from Discover, he didn't say which) and was unable to approve me

Then I apped for that new Balance Rewards card from Bank of America and got a message saying they need more time.

So I went crazy and the damage is done, now I'm depressed Smiley Sad

I don't know what i was thinking, so even if i happen to get approved for Barclays or Bank of America or both, how long before a bounce back from this and will this make me look real bad to Discover, Bank of America and AMEX that any of them could AA me in anyway? Smiley Sad

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 1 of 70
69 REPLIES 69
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

Re: I went crazy today and I think I messed up.....

Well that sucks. 

However one upside is that at least they were all on the same day.

maybe try chase again. They have pretty good recon and maybe you just got a sour grape the first time.

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 2 of 70
linux007969
Established Contributor

at least too i was able to get a smart connect account that i could build up the limit quickly back up to the $2,400 and maybe higher before this year ends possibly as long as i stop doing stupid things like this!

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 3 of 70
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

This might sound crazy... But it can't hurt since they said no already,

but call Chase back and explain it to the rep just like thou explained it here and ask them to please give you a chance. 

Who knows, you might just get the right rep who act feeling like doing you a favor.  You should qualify I would think. 

Ie: "I might have jumped the gun a bit but all I need is your lowest limit card. I have been paying my bills responsibly and will continue to do so. Chase is a great company and I very much want to just get my foot in the door so I can grow with them."  

Ya know like that. Smiley Happy

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 4 of 70
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@linux007969 wrote:

Earlier today I decided to call up GE Credit Solutuons and ask them if my Paypal Smart Connect could be upgraded to a Paypal Extras Mastercard, and they transfered me to Paypal and after i was on hold for like 20 minutes finally someone came on the line, and i asked about seeing if i can app for the Mastercard and they guy at paypal was a little confused as to why i called and i said i got transfered to them from GE Capital. Then he directed my online to where i could app and i coudln't cuz it said i cannot have more than one credit product, and he said i would have to close my paypal smart connect account first and then app for the Mastercard and he connected me to Paypal Smart Connect.

When I was on with Paypal Smart connect I ended up closing my account and she said I couldn't reopen it i wanted to and would have to re apply, so i continued with the account closure anyway and she read the disclosure and asked again if i wanted to close my account and i said yes and she said your account if now closed and you can app for the Paypal Extras Mastercard using a different paypal account.

So I logged into my other Paypal account and apped and got a message saying they were unable to approve me (not a outright denial mine you) and they will email me and also mail me a letter.

So I call GE Credit Solutuons back and tell them i just applied and got the message and she asked me for some personal info and placed me on hold and came back and said she could approve me for $500 and i asked if it was for the Mastercard? and she did some checking and said it was for the Smart Connect and i asked her if she could match the limit of my Smart Connect of $2,400 that I closed and she said she can place me on hold again while she reviews and then she came back and said she could not at this time and that I am still approved for the $500 though.

So then not feeling to great I later apped for a Barclay Rewards Mastercard and got a message saying they need more time to review

then later on I apped for a Chase Freedom and got almost the same message, so I called Chase for a recon and they guy asked me if i was told to call or if i looked up the number and i said i looked up the number (but didn't say where) and he reviewed my app and came back and said "too many inquaries and account balances reaching credit limit" (probably from Discover, he didn't say which) and was unable to approve me

Then I apped for that new Balance Rewards card from Bank of America and got a message saying they need more time.

So I went crazy and the damage is done, now I'm depressed Smiley Sad

I don't know what i was thinking, so even if i happen to get approved for Barclays or Bank of America or both, how long before a bounce back from this and will this make me look real bad to Discover, Bank of America and AMEX that any of them could AA me in anyway? Smiley Sad

Sorry to hear about the mess.  This is why a carefully, planned-out strategy works best in the event some non-approvals may occur.  I'm pretty sure these forums have discussions on the PayPal Smart Connect product not being able to be upgraded to the eBay MC or PayPal Extras MC - since only one product can be offered per PayPal account (usually you will be considered for either the eBay MC or Paypal MC first - depending on which one you apply for - if elegible, you will be offered the PayPal Smart Connect product).  Since you closed the PayPal Smart Connect and a new credit line was established based on your current credit profile, the unfortunate outcome resulted in not being able to match/offer your former limit.

What was the reasoning behind the app spree - want or necessity?  Usually, once the 2nd app (maybe third - for some many more) that doesn't provide successful results it's usually time to stop before more damage occurs (i.e. inquiries, FICO score dent).

So, at this point, you can only wait for the results from Barclays or BofA.  Or, in the event patience is not your best friend, you can always contact the BD numbers on this forum to see about a possible reconsideration.   Some folks have had success with reconsiderations but this depends on each individual's experience.

You'll bounce back from this experience in no time.  I don't believe this will put you in negative light with AMEX or Discover unless you attempted to overextend yourself and had an insane number of inquiries.

Message 5 of 70
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Recon everything. The damage is done, so be diligent in reconning. Only good can come from it.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 6 of 70
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

Recon everything. The damage is done, so be diligent in reconning. Only good can come from it.

+1

The bad news is the damage done and hard lesson learned.  The good news is, you can recuperate. 

Recon, Recon, RECON!  Others have documented success in recons on the 3rd/4th/5th try. 

Edit: Modified for additional info that was posted after this reply.  See below.

Message 7 of 70
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

So I'm trying to understand. Did you close your Paypal Smart Connect so that you could get the Paypal Extras MasterCard only to find out you were approved for the same exact card you closed with only a $500 limit instead of the $2400 limit you previous had? Or did you get approved for the Paypal Extras MasterCard with a $500 limit?
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 8 of 70
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

dont worry we all go thorugh that stage of going app hoping one will be approved and well we just end up racking up inquiries that will haunt us for 2 years.. We learn new things everyday and things to never do again. Its all good and dont worry Smiley Happy

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 9 of 70
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

How high are the balances on the cards? With high utilisation you most likely won't get approved for anything. The whole Paypal thing seems kind of silly and I would maybe try to see if the old account could be reopened.

Message 10 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.