cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I went crazy today and I think I messed up.....

tag
linux007969
Established Contributor

Re: I went crazy today and I think I messed up.....

Just logged into my second Paypal account and the new Smart Connect is open with a new account number of course. They are too quick. I hope the GE Cares team can reach out to me sometime tomorrow so i can discuss all of this with them, and hopefully i have a free moment at work to take their call. Last time i spoke with them we played phone tag.. LOL.

If i end up having to keep this new smart connnect can i take my Paypal Debit Card off my other account and activate it on this one or do i need to turn it off and get a new one for the new account?

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 51 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tinuviel wrote:

@thom02099 wrote:

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
You are doing better already because you absorbed our comments very constructively. That is the first step! We are a team here and we are all here to help each other. Many of us have had downfalls (including me) and can spot danger when we see it. You are on the right track to avoiding the same pitfalls many of us have gone through. Thanks for being so receptive...it will pay off in the long run. :-)

+1, AWESOME! 

It's tough love here, friend.  ALL of us have been there/done that/won the t-shirt at some point in our financial history.  It's what we (and you) learn(ed) from it that's important.  And lots of us will continue to help you and others out...because that's what this place is all about ! Smiley Happy

Absolutely. You've received some very good advice, Linux, and I'm happy to see that you've been receptive to hearing what posters have to say. I think that your best course of action is to recon what you've already attempted (you've already taken the inqs), accept it if the answers are no, garden what you have and pay off your existing cards. You've already been given good advice on rethinking your relationship to credit and I would advise you to take it to heart. Also, gardening does work wonders; it gives you the time to bring your util down to an optimal level, allow your accounts to age and report positive history, and inqs to fall off. This is what will allow you to build a solid credit history, not the sheer number of cards or limits that you have. Credit history is exactly that -- history, and that is something that is a reflection of time. Best wishes to you as you continue on your credit journey.

great advice

Message 52 of 70
linux007969
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

@thom02099 wrote:

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
You are doing better already because you absorbed our comments very constructively. That is the first step! We are a team here and we are all here to help each other. Many of us have had downfalls (including me) and can spot danger when we see it. You are on the right track to avoiding the same pitfalls many of us have gone through. Thanks for being so receptive...it will pay off in the long run. :-)

+1, AWESOME! 

It's tough love here, friend.  ALL of us have been there/done that/won the t-shirt at some point in our financial history.  It's what we (and you) learn(ed) from it that's important.  And lots of us will continue to help you and others out...because that's what this place is all about ! Smiley Happy

Absolutely. You've received some very good advice, Linux, and I'm happy to see that you've been receptive to hearing what posters have to say. I think that your best course of action is to recon what you've already attempted (you've already taken the inqs), accept it if the answers are no, garden what you have and pay off your existing cards. You've already been given good advice on rethinking your relationship to credit and I would advise you to take it to heart. Also, gardening does work wonders; it gives you the time to bring your util down to an optimal level, allow your accounts to age and report positive history, and inqs to fall off. This is what will allow you to build a solid credit history, not the sheer number of cards or limits that you have. Credit history is exactly that -- history, and that is something that is a reflection of time. Best wishes to you as you continue on your credit journey.

great advice

Ya basically after this passed in a few days and a few weeks after all i get all the mailings, i can move on and use what i have and on a good note by then my Discover IT conversion will be even closer from completing which i will then soon get the new shiny card in da mail and that may be enough to bring me around to feeling great again! Smiley Very Happy

Message 53 of 70
linux007969
Established Contributor

So I called Barclays this morning and they looked at my app and denied me saying they need to see some more payment history on my cards.

I called Bank of of America and talked to a credit analyst and the first person that answered the phone must not have been a analyst because they "had to see if the department was open " and transfered me. Then as i talked to an analyst they looked through my app and credit report and said that I don't have enough "credit refferences" and I said How i've started building credit in 2012 and i have 7 accounts open. I even said i have one of them that's a year, and she said she would transfer me to someone else for a second look. Then i was transfered to a "Senior Analyst:" who had me confirm some of the cards on my report, my income. She then asked about all my inquries over the last year and I said "I am starting my dive into credit" she then asked me why i wanted to open a Better Balance Rewards card with them and I told them that i love them and wanted to build a good relationship with them and I loved earning cash back from them.

She them came back and said she could approve me for $1,500 and I said wow thank you. She explained a little bit about the program benefits of the card and she said it will be linking up to my online banking and they will be sendin out the card and all the info in the mail.

Bank of America is very nice and cares about their customers. They even thanked me for applying and thanked me for calling in to speak with them.   Smiley Very Happy

Message 54 of 70
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Congrats. That is great news from BofA.. I can identify very much with your story. Sometimes when we get wrapped up in all the advice given here about how to improve our FICO scores and credit reports we get so caught up in the details that we lose sight of the basics. The basics are that to save money we have to spend less than we make and also that not having debts and not owing money is ultimately at least as important as having a good credit score. Paying off a 900 dollar debt or making the decision to not buy 500 dollars worth of stuff on a credit card is ultimately more important than being approved for a CLI or new card. Being debt free or paying off what you owe someone is more important than successfully apping many times. 

I understand the point you were making about "not really being in debt". I understand that you meant that you are current with your debts and that you are not incurring high interest charges. I got into a lot of problems with credit cards in the past. Just try and remember that living within your means is more important overall than paying minimum payments on bills. I think the positive that came out of the whole debacle was that you now have a closed positive tradeline from Paypal and an open positive tradeline. It is bad that you overall credit limit is less with paypal but it will work out overall now that you got approved for BofA. 

A good rule of thumb for when you are in a situation like that where someone advises you to close an account before you app for something else before apping for another better account is to just do nothing and sleep on it. There is not need to make a split second decision in most situations and sleeping on a decision and maybe getting advice here or elsewhere before moving forward would have prevented some of the stuff that happened. I was a floor trader for a long time and the job required making split second decisions which often had long term serious financial implications but in "real life" most financial decisions can be contemplated. 

I totally identify with what happened to you. Its like you get into a mode where you want to just pull the trigger and get stuff done right now and change your situation in a positive way right away. I am new to this board but if there is one thing that I have taken away so far it is that good credit is a long term process that takes patience and time. Fortunately you haven't done yourself too much damage. Developing the ability to look at things from a different prospective and understanding the fundamental concepts of credit and the "right" way to use it are behind all of our decision and once you  have a really good understanding of what to do and WHY things will be easier.  I have certainly made many mistakes in the past but I have changed. Changing how we think about things is where the real growth comes from and it is that change in thinking that leads to changes in behavior and ultimately into higher scores and a greater willingness of creditors to believe that you will pay back money they loan you in a timely fashion. Good luck to you. I have gotten a lot out of this thread.

Changing your behavior to ultimately change your thinking can be effective as well. An example of that would be if I came on this board, didn't really understand or believe what I was being told, but simply followed the steps as laid out here to improve my credit. As my actions were correct as laid out here and I behaved based on the advice here, my thinking would change too and follow my behavior and I would grow in that manner. I believe that concept of changing your actions first and having your thoughts and emotions follow is known as cognitive theory. That works too. 

Message 55 of 70
linux007969
Established Contributor

I got a call from a rep at GE Capital Retail Bank Corporate Office, I was at work and was unable to take the call and they left me a voicemail for me with their number to call them back, so i called back and ended up having to leave a voicemail with them because they didnt answer, so now we're playing phone tag... LOL

Hopefully they can get back to me tomorrow at a time i can answer. On a side note My orgional paypal smart connect, there is a refund of $0.07 that was posted to the smart connect account so looks like they might mail me a check for 7 cents.... really GE? It will costs more to print and mail the check. LOL.

Message 56 of 70
BlueNightStar
Regular Contributor

@dddewdrop wrote:

Congrats. That is great news from BofA.. I can identify very much with your story. Sometimes when we get wrapped up in all the advice given here about how to improve our FICO scores and credit reports we get so caught up in the details that we lose sight of the basics. The basics are that to save money we have to spend less than we make and also that not having debts and not owing money is ultimately at least as important as having a good credit score. Paying off a 900 dollar debt or making the decision to not buy 500 dollars worth of stuff on a credit card is ultimately more important than being approved for a CLI or new card. Being debt free or paying off what you owe someone is more important than successfully apping many times. 

I understand the point you were making about "not really being in debt". I understand that you meant that you are current with your debts and that you are not incurring high interest charges. I got into a lot of problems with credit cards in the past. Just try and remember that living within your means is more important overall than paying minimum payments on bills. I think the positive that came out of the whole debacle was that you now have a closed positive tradeline from Paypal and an open positive tradeline. It is bad that you overall credit limit is less with paypal but it will work out overall now that you got approved for BofA. 

A good rule of thumb for when you are in a situation like that where someone advises you to close an account before you app for something else before apping for another better account is to just do nothing and sleep on it. There is not need to make a split second decision in most situations and sleeping on a decision and maybe getting advice here or elsewhere before moving forward would have prevented some of the stuff that happened. I was a floor trader for a long time and the job required making split second decisions which often had long term serious financial implications but in "real life" most financial decisions can be contemplated. 

I totally identify with what happened to you. Its like you get into a mode where you want to just pull the trigger and get stuff done right now and change your situation in a positive way right away. I am new to this board but if there is one thing that I have taken away so far it is that good credit is a long term process that takes patience and time. Fortunately you haven't done yourself too much damage. Developing the ability to look at things from a different prospective and understanding the fundamental concepts of credit and the "right" way to use it are behind all of our decision and once you  have a really good understanding of what to do and WHY things will be easier.  I have certainly made many mistakes in the past but I have changed. Changing how we think about things is where the real growth comes from and it is that change in thinking that leads to changes in behavior and ultimately into higher scores and a greater willingness of creditors to believe that you will pay back money they loan you in a timely fashion. Good luck to you. I have gotten a lot out of this thread.

Changing your behavior to ultimately change your thinking can be effective as well. An example of that would be if I came on this board, didn't really understand or believe what I was being told, but simply followed the steps as laid out here to improve my credit. As my actions were correct as laid out here and I behaved based on the advice here, my thinking would change too and follow my behavior and I would grow in that manner. I believe that concept of changing your actions first and having your thoughts and emotions follow is known as cognitive theory. That works too. 

This is very insightful and so true. Thank you.

Message 57 of 70
linux007969
Established Contributor

@BlueNightStar wrote:

@dddewdrop wrote:

This is very insightful and so true. Thank you.

ya from now on i'm gonna sleep on decisions that could effect my credit in an adverse mannor. I hope GECRB Corporate Office has good news for me. If not i'll just use the new smart connect and build it back up to $2,400 limit before this year ends hopefully.

I also think later on sometime this year I will stop asking for credit limit increases so I don't draw attention to myself as to why i have all this credit, and also i will close my Amazon Store Card at anytime once i can reach the $2,400 limit on Smart Connect, unless GE comes through and re instates my origional Smart Connect with it's $2,400 limit, if they can do that, then I'm gonna close Amazon Store Card toward the end of this year, so i don't draw attention to myself by closing it too soon.

Message 58 of 70
linux007969
Established Contributor

I am still waiting for a call back from GECRB Corporate office. I actually called up GE Credit Solutuons to see if they could see any notes on my orgional smart connect account from the Corporate Office rep and they couldn't. Smiley Frustrated

When I login to my first paypal account they smart connect box dissappeared, however when i go to Paypal Debit Card it still says it's linked to my orgional Smart Connect account. Smiley Indifferent

So I'm thinking whenever the rep gets back to me or if they send me a letter, they are going to say they can't honor my request to keep it open and that i will have to just use my new smart connect account. Smiley Sad

On a brighter note, when I logged in to my Bank of America account they now have the new Better Balance Rewards card already added to my account with the limit of $1,500 like the Analyst said. Smiley Very Happy

I deffidently leaned my lesson through all of this. Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm glad you guys and gals are here for me with this stuff! Thanks Smiley Very Happy

Message 59 of 70
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the BOA recon!!! They are a tough cookie to crack!!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 60 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.