Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I wish I didn't care so much

tag
barbaralee
Established Contributor

I wish I didn't care so much

To preempt, my mom has excellent credit. When she bought her new house the mortgage company rep said her credit score was the highest she had ever seen. Anyway, I am visiting with my mom and she wanted me to order something for her out of one of those Skymall catalogs. She said "You need to put it on my cc." We got into talking and she was saying how she has all kinds of credit cards but only carries one (USAA MC). Then she opens up this drawer and ALL these desirable cards gush out. Everything from BofA business card to Discovers (2) Amex (also 2) Target, Macys, Citibank, etc etc. She gathered them up, put a rubber band around them, and flippantly tossed them back in the drawer. Said she doesn't like them and has never really had a need for them. Then she goes into her purse, pulls out her wallet (all it has is her USAA cc and drivers license), and gives it to me to make the order. She exits the room talking about making kimchi soup and I'm standing there kind of in disbelief.

It's funny how we put quite a bit of thought and excitement into achieving a particular type of card, while others not only think nothing of it, but find it less than worthwhile. Since I am rebuilding from a messy divorce I find my credit to be one of my higher concerns... But one day I hope to be where she is at...  Just not giving a flip about credit.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Re: I wish I didn't care so much

I Know right.  When I go to my moms house and check her mail for her I find all sorts of offers from AmEx, Chase, Citi and so on while I get offers from First Premier or whatever.   She could care less. lol

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 2 of 16
Guava
Established Contributor

If you take care of your credit now, by the time you're at your mother's age, you'll probably feel the same 

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 16
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

To preempt, my mom has excellent credit. When she bought her new house the mortgage company rep said her credit score was the highest she had ever seen. Anyway, I am visiting with my mom and she wanted me to order something for her out of one of those Skymall catalogs. She said "You need to put it on my cc." We got into talking and she was saying how she has all kinds of credit cards but only carries one (USAA MC). Then she opens up this drawer and ALL these desirable cards gush out. Everything from BofA business card to Discovers (2) Amex (also 2) Target, Macys, Citibank, etc etc. She gathered them up, put a rubber band around them, and flippantly tossed them back in the drawer. Said she doesn't like them and has never really had a need for them. Then she goes into her purse, pulls out her wallet (all it has is her USAA cc and drivers license), and gives it to me to make the order. She exits the room talking about making kimchi soup and I'm standing there kind of in disbelief.

It's funny how we put quite a bit of thought and excitement into achieving a particular type of card, while others not only think nothing of it, but find it less than worthwhile. Since I am rebuilding from a messy divorce I find my credit to be one of my higher concerns... But one day I hope to be where she is at...  Just not giving a flip about credit.

Your mom and I are a lot alike.  All I ever carry in my wallet is my US Bank cc and debit card.  I have no need for every cc on the market. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 4 of 16
tengtengvn
Frequent Contributor

I carry all my CCs to maximize my rewards as I make few hundred bux a month from CC's reward programs.

What's in your wallet?
-Not Capital One.
Message 5 of 16
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

The real mystery here is " she doesn't like them and has never really had a need for them.".    Why does she have them?    

Message 6 of 16
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Wolf3 wrote

The real mystery here is " she doesn't like them and has never really had a need for them.".    Why does she have them?    

This is probably more of an answer than what you are wanting:

When she first came to the U.S. she had me, my brother and 0 credit. She had divorced my father (who we never met) and came to the States with $10,000 and a 1978 monte carlo in assets. She could barely speak English, and to this day struggles with reading and writing in English and prefers her native language. She said she realized she needed credit, but no one would give her any because she had nothing. Finally Dillards gave her a $300 credit card. Shortly after that she got a Sears card and it progressed. And now, 28 years later she has this impeccable score, her own business, two homes, a $30,000+ car that she bought brand new last year and paid off this last September, and a pocketful of credit cards.

I have seen her easily talked into opening cards, using them once, and tossing them aside. I believe what several here have already stated are correct: at one point she was meticulous about her credit... but she has reached a point in her life where it doesn't matter as much, anymore. Of course she does what she has to to maintain it, but it is not as important of an issue for her.

Message 7 of 16
Guava
Established Contributor

My hat is off for your mother. Just wow!

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Message 8 of 16
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

Wolf3 wrote

This is probably more of an answer than what you are wanting:

When she first came to the U.S. she had me, my brother and 0 credit. She had divorced my father (who we never met) and came to the States with $10,000 and a 1978 monte carlo in assets. She could barely speak English, and to this day struggles with reading and writing in English and prefers her native language. She said she realized she needed credit, but no one would give her any because she had nothing. Finally Dillards gave her a $300 credit card. Shortly after that she got a Sears card and it progressed. And now, 28 years later she has this impeccable score, her own business, two homes, a $30,000+ car that she bought brand new last year and paid off this last September, and a pocketful of credit cards.

I have seen her easily talked into opening cards, using them once, and tossing them aside. I believe what several here have already stated are correct: at one point she was meticulous about her credit... but she has reached a point in her life where it doesn't matter as much, anymore. Of course she does what she has to to maintain it, but it is not as important of an issue for her.

AWESOME !!  10000+ to your mom!

Her scores are probably kept over 800 Fico most of the time because of so many lines with no doubt 0 balances (or less than 11% utilization across the board, probably all on that one card) and a verrrrry long history. Also a mortgage that still shows and a car loan or 2 on the report (the mix as they call it). I doubt she ever had a late payment on her report.

She's the card holder they want because of those reasons, she's a "sure bet" as far as they're (card issuers) concerned. I'm happy for her and congratulate her on her success in life, she sounds like a rather wise woman. And one day, just the fact you're on here learning, you'll probably achieve the same level of respect from issuers one day. 

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 9 of 16
dharalex
Established Contributor

I don't think she is flippant about it, she just hasn't been plagued by the pain of having bad credit. And that's ok. You can be and will be there all in time. Just she her as someone to immolate. It's frustrating, I know. I'm in my late 30s and should have a much higher score, but I made some stupid errors. When you know better, you will do better....and we will!

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.