Re: ICBC UnionPay/Visa cards now available in the US

@Anonymous wrote:

Suspense is killing me!

10-15 day message?

Message 24 of 31
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

My friend in the630's was asked for paystubs! Does that mean approved probably?!
Message 25 of 31
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
My friend in the630's was asked for paystubs! Does that mean approved probably?!

Possibly. I read on the FAQs that they will try and work with people who have limited credit. I'm guessing since it is a division of a Chinese bank that they would try and work with foreigners who have recently moved to the country. This could possibly mean that they are open to approving applications for lower credit scores or limited credit.

Sidenote: I was approved for the Gold UnionPay card. My scores are 750s and I haven't apped for anything in over a year. Don't know the limit. They don't have a 1-800 number so I had to call the main branch. The person I spoke with said I'll get the card with the limit in 10-15 days. 

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 26 of 31
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@ilovelisa wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Possibly. I read on the FAQs that they will try and work with people who have limited credit. I'm guessing since it is a division of a Chinese bank that they would try and work with foreigners who have recently moved to the country. This could possibly mean that they are open to approving applications for lower credit scores or limited credit.

Sidenote: I was approved for the Gold UnionPay card. My scores are 750s and I haven't apped for anything in over a year. Don't know the limit. They don't have a 1-800 number so I had to call the main branch. The person I spoke with said I'll get the card with the limit in 10-15 days. 

That would bug me so much, haha. Please let us know when you find out. 

Message 27 of 31
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@azguy13 wrote:

@ilovelisa wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

It did and don't worry I'll update lol. I didn't get this card for the rewards or the possible SL. I only wanted it since it is unique. It's a card on a network that most non-myficoers have never heard of. And it won't be a problem using it since it just runs on the Discover network in the US.

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 28 of 31
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@ilovelisa wrote:

@azguy13 wrote:

@ilovelisa wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

It did and don't worry I'll update lol. I didn't get this card for the rewards or the possible SL. I only wanted it since it is unique. It's a card on a network that most non-myficoers have never heard of. And it won't be a problem using it since it just runs on the Discover network in the US.

Tell that to the JCB Makurai users out there and watch them react somewhere between laughter and rolling their eyes.  Actually I've seen the UnionPay logo in several places around Los Angeles, though seems to be a nearly 1:1 overlap with JCB in that regard though I haven't paid that much attention to them.  The dream of universal acceptance failed so I pretty much just use the JCB card for known purchases (albeit non-trivially sized per month heh) where they have the optional/full Discover payment features.

        
Message 29 of 31
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Revelate wrote:

@ilovelisa wrote:

@azguy13 wrote:

@ilovelisa wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Tell that to the JCB Makurai users out there and watch them react somewhere between laughter and rolling their eyes.  Actually I've seen the UnionPay logo in several places around Los Angeles, though seems to be a nearly 1:1 overlap with JCB in that regard though I haven't paid that much attention to them.  The dream of universal acceptance failed so I pretty much just use the JCB card for known purchases (albeit non-trivially sized per month heh) where they have the optional/full Discover payment features.

I love uniqueness, but I love a card that will 'work' even more.

Slightly off-topic, but this is why I plan to avoid any issuer that issues MasterCards with the new BIN range (starting with a '2') like the plague.  In theory they are supposed to be accepted everywhere the existing '5' BIN ranges are accepted (that is, anywhere MasterCard is accepted) but of course software updates (and merchant training) take time, and sometimes I just want to make a purchase and not be bothered with anything 'out of the box'.

I would love to have a JCB/Marukai card for the cash back, but I'm afraid the 'iffy' acceptance would try my patience, the 'cool' factor and neat design notwithstanding.  While the Union Pay card might be of value (perhaps great value) to someone who travels to China frequently, for domestic use I would expect acceptance to be very similar to JCB (that is to say, it will likely be unpredictable at times).

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.