Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IHG Cash and Points Trick - Worth it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

IHG Cash and Points Trick - Worth it?

So I got an email from IHG stating you would save an extra 15% if you book with points and cash. I know there's a points and cash trick that if you purchase a stay for like 10,000 points + $90 you get an extra 15,000 points for $90 if you cancel your stay. 

I'm just trying to figure out if it's really worth it or if it's just better to book the stay with cash or use my reward points? 

Currently I have 44,000 points 

I see a hotel I'm interested in that will let me book an executive room for 2 nights for $174.24 (about 87.12 + 10,000  points per night) and if I cancel I would get an extra  30,000 points bringing my balance to 74,000. 

I only need to book 1 night which is 25,000 points so if I use the 25,000 after it would bring my balance to 49,000. So I would be only getting 5,000 points doing this and I think 10% back if I use my IHG card.

-- 

I think it would be better if I book a cheaper room (around $128 per night) in the future with cash and just get the room upgrade. What do you guys think? And  if anyone is wondering I go to this same hotel 3-4 times per year so that's why I'm trying to see if it's worth taking advantage of the bonus.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: IHG Cash and Points Trick - Worth it?

@Anonymous wrote:

So I got an email from IHG stating you would save an extra 15% if you book with points and cash. I know there's a points and cash trick that if you purchase a stay for like 10,000 points + $90 you get an extra 15,000 points for $90 if you cancel your stay. 

I'm just trying to figure out if it's really worth it or if it's just better to book the stay with cash or use my reward points? 

I see a hotel I'm interested in that will let me book an executive room for 2 nights for $174.24 (about 87.12 + 10,000  points per night) and if I cancel I would get an extra  30,000 points bringing my balance to 74,000. 

I only need to book 1 night which is 25,000 points so if I use the 25,000 after it would bring my balance to 49,000. So I would be only getting 5,000 points doing this and I think 10% back if I use my IHG card.

-- 

I think it would be better if I book a cheaper room (around $128 per night) in the future with cash and just get the room upgrade. What do you guys think? And  if anyone is wondering I go to this same hotel 3-4 times per year so that's why I'm trying to see if it's worth taking advantage of the bonus.

I've not been over your figures in much detail. I don't think you also get the 10% of points back if you cancel - otherwise someone would book and cancel a lot of award nights, and could grow their point balance exponentially with no actual stays. I'd have proably heard about that.

I generally focus on acquiring IHG points cheaply (sometimes very cheaply, as in 0.3 cpp or less) and then paying with all points whenever I can redeem for more than 0.6 cpp. Priceless Surprises and 30k bonus point rates are helpful.

I've come to keep my expectations low as far as what an upgrade or club access will actually provide. If you want a specific room type, I suggest booking it and paying the higher price.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: IHG Cash and Points Trick - Worth it?

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

-- 

I've not been over your figures in much detail. I don't think you also get the 10% of points back if you cancel - otherwise someone would book and cancel a lot of award nights, and could grow their point balance exponentially with no actual stays. I'd have proably heard about that.

I generally focus on acquiring IHG points cheaply (sometimes very cheaply, as in 0.03 cpp or less) and then paying with all points whenever I can redeem for more than 0.6 cpp.

I've come to keep my expectations low as far as what an upgrade or club access will actually provide. If you want a specific room type, I suggest booking it and paying the higher price.

Thanks for your input! I wanted to know more / how you get the points for .03 cpp and what do you mean by redeeming for more than .6 cpp? 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.