Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMO Amex is a cry baby.

tag
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

IMO Amex is a cry baby.

So, it was that time to try for a cli with Amex, even though I didn't need it.  I have 13K with them now.  So, I applied, and declined.  The only reason they gave me was, "outstanding balances with other lenders".  The only outstanding balance I had was for $133 that I let post to have one card report for the month.  I only deal with two companies, US Bank and Amex.  US Bank is my main bank, and I have more than twice the cl with them than I do with Amex.  I really do think that Amex does not like customers who deal in a large way with other banks.   Anyways,  I thought their reason for denial was a little amusing and I thought I would pass it along.  It goes to show that you can never out guess Amex, even with an outstanding score.  I will stick with my US Bank cash plus card as usual.  It makes  more money for me  than my BCE card does.

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: IMO Amex is a cry baby.

This is why Im scared of Amex!! Eeekk
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 2 of 9
GregB
Valued Contributor

When Amex was having problems a few years ago, they started lowering my limits on personal and business accounts. They eventually lowered my limits by more than $150K. I was very upset at the time and spent lots of effort "proving" that the reasons stated were not correct.

I finally realized that the reasons stated on each CLD had virtually nothing to do with reality. There were 6-8 different letters reducing the credit limits on 3 different accounts. Only ONE of the stated reasons might have been realistic. I clearly remember one being the exact opposite of reality.

One of them required an EX report with a FICO score to be attached in order to reconsider their CLD. This was just after EX made FICO scores unavailable to the consumer.

They should just state that "We are doing this because we can and we don't want to give you a reason".

I am mostly happy with Amex but some of their tricks are just horrible.

Message 3 of 9
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@GregB wrote:

When Amex was having problems a few years ago, they started lowering my limits on personal and business accounts. They eventually lowered my limits by more than $150K. I was very upset at the time and spent lots of effort "proving" that the reasons stated were not correct.

I finally realized that the reasons stated on each CLD had virtually nothing to do with reality. There were 6-8 different letters reducing the credit limits on 3 different accounts. Only ONE of the stated reasons might have been realistic. I clearly remember one being the exact opposite of reality.

One of them required an EX report with a FICO score to be attached in order to reconsider their CLD. This was just after EX made FICO scores unavailable to the consumer.

They should just state that "We are doing this because we can and we don't want to give you a reason".

I am mostly happy with Amex but some of their tricks are just horrible.

They purged thousands of customers and CL during that time.    Wanted to keep only the best customers then.   

Now they are expanding into the younger market with Zync.  

I just threw away another invitation to apply.

Message 4 of 9
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

So, it was that time to try for a cli with Amex, even though I didn't need it.  I have 13K with them now.  So, I applied, and declined.  The only reason they gave me was, "outstanding balances with other lenders".  The only outstanding balance I had was for $133 that I let post to have one card report for the month.  I only deal with two companies, US Bank and Amex.  US Bank is my main bank, and I have more than twice the cl with them than I do with Amex.  I really do think that Amex does not like customers who deal in a large way with other banks.   Anyways,  I thought their reason for denial was a little amusing and I thought I would pass it along.  It goes to show that you can never out guess Amex, even with an outstanding score.  I will stick with my US Bank cash plus card as usual.  It makes  more money for me  than my BCE card does.

A company trust you with 13k CL and you're mad at them.

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Message 5 of 9
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Since CLI are SP only, its quite possible they were using a report that is 1-2 months old, if you have recently had a lower UTL they may not see it. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 6 of 9
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

Since CLI are SP only, its quite possible they were using a report that is 1-2 months old, if you have recently had a lower UTL they may not see it. 

Yes I  thought of that but the month before had an even lower balance.

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 7 of 9
JonStur
Established Contributor

I'm assuming this was the auto response, try getting a recon and speak to an underwriter and see what they say.

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 8 of 9
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@HenryJumbo wrote:

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

A company trust you with 13k CL and you're mad at them. 

I think you need to read my post again.  Nowhere in it does it say I am mad at Amex.  I was pointing out the complexities of Amex regarding their cli's. The more info we post about a company, the better off everyone is when it comes time to app for a card.   It's a game of chance we all play.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. Do you read anger into everyone's post?  I hope not. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
last app 2/15
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.