Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,784
Registered: ‎03-11-2009
0

IMO Amex is a cry baby.

So, it was that time to try for a cli with Amex, even though I didn't need it.  I have 13K with them now.  So, I applied, and declined.  The only reason they gave me was, "outstanding balances with other lenders".  The only outstanding balance I had was for $133 that I let post to have one card report for the month.  I only deal with two companies, US Bank and Amex.  US Bank is my main bank, and I have more than twice the cl with them than I do with Amex.  I really do think that Amex does not like customers who deal in a large way with other banks.   Anyways,  I thought their reason for denial was a little amusing and I thought I would pass it along.  It goes to show that you can never out guess Amex, even with an outstanding score.  I will stick with my US Bank cash plus card as usual.  It makes  more money for me  than my BCE card does.

FICOS
TU 807 8/10/15
EX 814 8/10/15
EQ 829 8/7/15
NASA 30K ( Amex 25k ) ( Chase Freedom 10.6k ) ( Venture 23K ) ( SD'd US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k, In their final resting place, can you hear the sound of taps? ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
Senior Contributor
Posts: 6,279
Registered: ‎08-16-2012
0

Re: IMO Amex is a cry baby.

This is why Im scared of Amex!! Eeekk
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,671
Registered: ‎05-24-2007
0

Re: IMO Amex is a cry baby.

When Amex was having problems a few years ago, they started lowering my limits on personal and business accounts. They eventually lowered my limits by more than $150K. I was very upset at the time and spent lots of effort "proving" that the reasons stated were not correct.

 

I finally realized that the reasons stated on each CLD had virtually nothing to do with reality. There were 6-8 different letters reducing the credit limits on 3 different accounts. Only ONE of the stated reasons might have been realistic. I clearly remember one being the exact opposite of reality.

 

One of them required an EX report with a FICO score to be attached in order to reconsider their CLD. This was just after EX made FICO scores unavailable to the consumer.

 

They should just state that "We are doing this because we can and we don't want to give you a reason".

 

I am mostly happy with Amex but some of their tricks are just horrible.

Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,197
Registered: ‎01-24-2010
0

Re: IMO Amex is a cry baby.


GregB wrote:

When Amex was having problems a few years ago, they started lowering my limits on personal and business accounts. They eventually lowered my limits by more than $150K. I was very upset at the time and spent lots of effort "proving" that the reasons stated were not correct.

 

I finally realized that the reasons stated on each CLD had virtually nothing to do with reality. There were 6-8 different letters reducing the credit limits on 3 different accounts. Only ONE of the stated reasons might have been realistic. I clearly remember one being the exact opposite of reality.

 

One of them required an EX report with a FICO score to be attached in order to reconsider their CLD. This was just after EX made FICO scores unavailable to the consumer.

 

They should just state that "We are doing this because we can and we don't want to give you a reason".

 

I am mostly happy with Amex but some of their tricks are just horrible.


They purged thousands of customers and CL during that time.    Wanted to keep only the best customers then.   

 

Now they are expanding into the younger market with Zync.  

 

I just threw away another invitation to apply.

 

Regular Contributor
Posts: 144
Registered: ‎07-21-2012
0

Re: IMO Amex is a cry baby.


Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

So, it was that time to try for a cli with Amex, even though I didn't need it.  I have 13K with them now.  So, I applied, and declined.  The only reason they gave me was, "outstanding balances with other lenders".  The only outstanding balance I had was for $133 that I let post to have one card report for the month.  I only deal with two companies, US Bank and Amex.  US Bank is my main bank, and I have more than twice the cl with them than I do with Amex.  I really do think that Amex does not like customers who deal in a large way with other banks.   Anyways,  I thought their reason for denial was a little amusing and I thought I would pass it along.  It goes to show that you can never out guess Amex, even with an outstanding score.  I will stick with my US Bank cash plus card as usual.  It makes  more money for me  than my BCE card does.


A company trust you with 13k CL and you're mad at them.

 

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,285
Registered: ‎09-16-2011
0

Re: IMO Amex is a cry baby.

Since CLI are SP only, its quite possible they were using a report that is 1-2 months old, if you have recently had a lower UTL they may not see it. 

 

 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSP 10k & Freedom 6.6k & Amtrak 4.6k, FNBO DISC 14.9k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 15k & Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 6k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 12k Sally Mae5k Sams Club MC 10k, Paypal Extras MC 6k, CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 5k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 7k, HHonors Gold 1k (moved 5k CL to Simplicity), Discover IT 10k and a nice stack of store cards.
Last APP/HP 4/22/2015
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,784
Registered: ‎03-11-2009
0

Re: IMO Amex is a cry baby.


jamesdwi wrote:

Since CLI are SP only, its quite possible they were using a report that is 1-2 months old, if you have recently had a lower UTL they may not see it. 

 

 


Yes I  thought of that but the month before had an even lower balance.

FICOS
TU 807 8/10/15
EX 814 8/10/15
EQ 829 8/7/15
NASA 30K ( Amex 25k ) ( Chase Freedom 10.6k ) ( Venture 23K ) ( SD'd US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k, In their final resting place, can you hear the sound of taps? ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
Established Contributor
Posts: 910
Registered: ‎12-25-2010
0

Re: IMO Amex is a cry baby.

I'm assuming this was the auto response, try getting a recon and speak to an underwriter and see what they say.


Starting Score: TU 686 EX 641 EQ 690
Current Score: TU 779 EX 767 EQ 740
Goal Score: 800 Club

BCE $12.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Wally Discover 10K, Cash+ $9K Sam's Discover 10K, Freedom $6K, Zales $5.5K, More $5K, Cap one $5K, Barclay 2.5K, Household Plat $1.5K, Household Gold $1.5K, Credit One $1K, First Premier Plat $.675K First Premier Gold $.65K
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,784
Registered: ‎03-11-2009
0

Re: IMO Amex is a cry baby.


HenryJumbo wrote:

Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

So, it was that time to try for a cli with Amex, even though I didn't need it.  I have 13K with them now.  So, I applied, and declined.  The only reason they gave me was, "outstanding balances with other lenders".  The only outstanding balance I had was for $133 that I let post to have one card report for the month.  I only deal with two companies, US Bank and Amex.  US Bank is my main bank, and I have more than twice the cl with them than I do with Amex.  I really do think that Amex does not like customers who deal in a large way with other banks.   Anyways,  I thought their reason for denial was a little amusing and I thought I would pass it along.  It goes to show that you can never out guess Amex, even with an outstanding score.  I will stick with my US Bank cash plus card as usual.  It makes  more money for me  than my BCE card does.


A company trust you with 13k CL and you're mad at them. 

 


I think you need to read my post again.  Nowhere in it does it say I am mad at Amex.  I was pointing out the complexities of Amex regarding their cli's. The more info we post about a company, the better off everyone is when it comes time to app for a card.   It's a game of chance we all play.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. Do you read anger into everyone's post?  I hope not. 

FICOS
TU 807 8/10/15
EX 814 8/10/15
EQ 829 8/7/15
NASA 30K ( Amex 25k ) ( Chase Freedom 10.6k ) ( Venture 23K ) ( SD'd US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k, In their final resting place, can you hear the sound of taps? ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.