Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INCOME/ CL on CC

tag
gettnthere
Established Contributor

INCOME/ CL on CC

I have an interesting question for you guys. I always see where people put heavy weight on income in relation to credit limits. As of right now, I absolutely DO NOT have ANY big Cl's..Or decent Cl's for that matter lol. I know its bc IM relatively new to credit and lenders don't quite trust me that much yet but IM looking to build relationships and grow higher Cl's. I know ALOT of ya'll make alot more money than I do (not ashamed to admit it lol) but my income is $68,500 right now and will be right at $71,000  by January 2013. I do not think it will go past that for a long while. Now with that being said, is it unrealistic to think that I can get  CL's of at least 20k based on that income or do you guys think its very possible. Im just wondering where I stand as far as CL's go and just how much I can expect them to grow based on my stated income. What are ya'lls honest opinions?

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: INCOME/ CL on CC

Half of getting good CL's is qualifing and APing for the right cards. Rebuilder cards don't give good limits. But you can't get good cards without proven experience with cards so you are stuck starting with them. To get in with the good cards you need 1 year experience with 2 or more MC/VISA/DISC based credit cards. No lates or baddies in the last 2+ years and a FICO score of at 650 to get through the door, if youi want to start with higher limits Its best to start with a 700 FICO. 

The key to getting higher limits is to have high limits, earlier in your process is to get cards that are friendly with CLI's, this is what makes GE backed cards so popular, you may start out low but every 4 months you can get another CLI, so in one year of history with the card you can easily get 3 CLI's  easily doubling your CL 

If you can qualifiy for NFCU they are a big help in getting big CL's in a short period of time. AMEX is verry is good with CL and CLI's, followed closely by Citibank. Chase can by but CLI's always come with a HP, but you can move credit limits from one card to another. As posted earlier on this board Citi co-branded cards are easier to get thus may get you a higher starting CLI. Once you get your prime cards close down your starter cards when there AF hits unless they have a decent limit when compared to your others.

AMEX charge cards can be your friend while you are building your scores by keeping UTL low, balances reported on your charge card don't count towards your UTL thus helping your score. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting a hard limit of $20,000 with your income isn't impossible, but will require overall good credit and a solid relationship with the lender.  NFCU is famous for high limits, if you can get in with them.  Amex is a good way to get a high limit, there is a the charge card option, which isn't a hard limit, but they can have very high internal limits.  Amex revolvers can also grow quickly under the right conditions because of their good CLI policies.

Message 3 of 6
CK_Charles_Lover
Regular Contributor

@gettnthere wrote:

I have an interesting question for you guys. I always see where people put heavy weight on income in relation to credit limits. As of right now, I absolutely DO NOT have ANY big Cl's..Or decent Cl's for that matter lol. I know its bc IM relatively new to credit and lenders don't quite trust me that much yet but IM looking to build relationships and grow higher Cl's. I know ALOT of ya'll make alot more money than I do (not ashamed to admit it lol) but my income is $68,500 right now and will be right at $71,000  by January 2013. I do not think it will go past that for a long while. Now with that being said, is it unrealistic to think that I can get  CL's of at least 20k based on that income or do you guys think its very possible. Im just wondering where I stand as far as CL's go and just how much I can expect them to grow based on my stated income. What are ya'lls honest opinions?

Getting credit limits of 20,000 with your income shouldn't be a problem especially with amex and a few others. Just have to have patience. 

Trans Union Fico (Walmart) ,690 Experian Fico (Amex) 686(Opened 3 new accounts this month. In the Garden)

AMEX BCE ($19,500) AMEX PRG -(NPSL), BARCLAYS US AIR PREMIER WORLD ($10,000), BOA CASH REWARD -($6,000), CITI HILTON RESERVE SIGGY-(5,000), WALMART DISCOVER ( $5,800), CITI DIAMOND ($4,700), CITI DIVIDED WORLD ($4,500), AMAZON STORE($5,000), NORDSTROM VISA SIG($5,000), PAYPAL STORE ($4,000) Amex Delta Gold ($2000)
Message 4 of 6
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

The problem is not the invome most likely.  You said you were new to credit  how long have you had credit and what type of credit dso you have? Your scores are okay I agree with your dcision to garden for a while. If you any negative items on your credit report work at fixing thise items Look at what is hurting your score on your credit report and see if you do something to correct or fix that reason if possible

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 5 of 6
andre181
Established Contributor

$20k CL on a $70k income is TOTALLY doable with the right credit profile on the right cards.

My income is about $33k and my highest CL is $14k and I have 3 cards that are over $10k.

Just be patient and it will happen.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.