cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS IT TRUE CITI DOES NOT CONVERT CARDS ANYMORE???

tag
tray
Valued Contributor

IS IT TRUE CITI DOES NOT CONVERT CARDS ANYMORE???

Hi everyone, is it true that citi does not convert credit cards upon request of the cardholder, I have the citi platinium and I am interested in the dividend platinium cash rewards card.  Any information will be helpful, thanks.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
smc733
Valued Contributor

Re: IS IT TRUE CITI DOES NOT CONVERT CARDS ANYMORE???

Citi is usually easy to work with.  I've heard many stories of them doing this still, I haven't heard anything about them NOT doing it.

I hope to convert my Forward card to a Platinum Select Visa in a year or so.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 2 of 10
tray
Valued Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

Citi is usually easy to work with.  I've heard many stories of them doing this still, I haven't heard anything about them NOT doing it.

Well I spoke to a rep with Citi today and he said they do not do any credit card coversions anymore, but I wrote this thread to see if anyone has done this recently as sometimes you get the wrong information from reps.  Hopefully someone chimes in and had success as I want to convert my card.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 10
smc733
Valued Contributor

@tray wrote:

@smc733 wrote:

Well I spoke to a rep with Citi today and he said they do not do any credit card coversions anymore, but I wrote this thread to see if anyone has done this recently as sometimes you get the wrong information from reps.  Hopefully someone chimes in and had success as I want to convert my card.

It could be very possible that they only do conversions on their own, rather than when people request them.  People in very recent threads have posted how Citi has automatically converted them to a new card.  

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 4 of 10
score_building
Senior Contributor

It can vary from acct holder to acct holder and sometimes from product to product.

About 6 months ago Citi told me I can't convert my Platinum Select even though there were a number of threads from people who had successful PCs during the same time period. 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 10
moonman
Frequent Contributor

Citi keeps sending me letters about receiving 1% statement credit until 12/31/10 after i spend 500 on my platinum select card to which i have a balance transfer on.but i also have the dividend card(is now available on their website now) as well to which i use a ton.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once upon a time, CITI allowed you to move your entire credit limit to any of their other offerings. Those days are...................over........Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent CIti a secure message to see if they would convert Citi Platinum Select to Citi Dividend Platinum Select. They responded with this cut and paste message:

"We understand that your account may not be the right one for you. That is why we offer a wide variety of products. Please call us to discuss these products and the terms associated with them.

Thank you for using our website."

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not impressed with any of the Citibank cards. Cashback makes much more sense than "rewards". Look at PenFed or Fidelity Amex. CITI fails to deliver.......

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If push comes to shove you could always threaten to close the card.

I did a search and it seems a frustrated cardholder called and requested to be transferred to the retention department. When asked the reason for canceling the card the consumer stated he or she was looking for a card that gives cash back and the CSR immediately offered a card change to Dividend with no hard inquiry.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.