Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideal cc usage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ideal cc usage

I was just approved for all the cards in my sig. What is the best way to use these cards to increase my score?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: Ideal cc usage

Congrats on your approvals! The best way is to use them as you wish and then pay off all but one (leave 1-9% of your credit limits reporting) and that will max out your score. Just pay the rest of them off in full before the statement cuts. After the statement cuts on the one you left a balance on, just pay it all off (avoid interest!), then rinse and repeat. Smiley Happy

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 2 of 6
red259
Super Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

Congrats on your approvals! The best way is to use them as you wish and then pay off all but one (leave 1-9% of your credit limits reporting) and that will max out your score. Just pay the rest of them off in full before the statement cuts. After the statement cuts on the one you left a balance on, just pay it all off (avoid interest!), then rinse and repeat. Smiley Happy

+1 Keep in mind that you don't really need to do this unless you are planning to app for a new card in the next 2 months or so. As long as your PIF by the due date you are fine. Doing the above maximizes your score by lowering overall util, but your util changes month to month so the benefit of going the extra mile to do this every month is not that great when you are not apping. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

i noticed a 20+ point jump on all of my bureaus from letting a card report a balance that i haven't used in a while so switch it up from time to time too on what you let report
Message 4 of 6
Open123
Super Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

+1

This is the way to go.  I do this when I'm getting ready to go on an app spree.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed with those above.

If your score is important to you, pay off all but one and let that one report a balance between 1 and 10%. Letting all report $0 balance is not good. Credit scores are quantifications of how you use your credit, not of how well you let your credit stay dormant.

If your scores aren't all that important to you, use them and pay them in full each month to avoid paying interest.

At bare minimum, use them and pay at least the minimum payment. 

Paying JUST the minimum is only recommend as a temporary practice and even then only in times of financial hardship.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.