cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas for cheap services to keep 3 cards active.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ideas for cheap services to keep 3 cards active.

As many of you can relate, I have two... wait, now 3 cap one cards with almost worthless limits that I never use. Rather then close them I figure it won't hurt to give them some monthly activity since I've had them for quite a while and the annual fees aren't financially bothersome... pointless expenditures as they are. So I'm looking for 3 cheap and useful/fun services that I can have charged monthly, put them on each, put the cards on autopay, check a few times a month to make sure nothing bogus appears and otherwise forget and maybe even cut up the cards. I presently have amex credit secure and netflix on other cards... anything else out there that you guys use?

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Ideas for cheap services to keep 3 cards active.

@Anonymous wrote:

As many of you can relate, I have two... wait, now 3 cap one cards with almost worthless limits that I never use. Rather then close them I figure it won't hurt to give them some monthly activity since I've had them for quite a while and the annual fees aren't financially bothersome... pointless expenditures as they are. So I'm looking for 3 cheap and useful/fun services that I can have charged monthly, put them on each, put the cards on autopay, check a few times a month to make sure nothing bogus appears and otherwise forget and maybe even cut up the cards. I presently have amex credit secure and netflix on other cards... anything else out there that you guys use?

Thanks Smiley Happy

I pay my XM radio, cable, and gas bills this way. It works great.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 7
thebanjoman
Contributor

Gym dues... Pondering using my planet fitness membership to keep a card active (but I've yet to actually apply for the card... Gardening and strategising at the moment).  Netflix.  Cell phones (possibly).  other small utilities.

Local car wash has an "unlimited wash club" for 20/month, unsure how it's set up though.  I'm sure there's a slew of monthly bills you can find, I'd just suggest its something you'll use or you're paying monthly merely for credit card placeholders.

Message 3 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Bridge tolls. Smiley Tongue

eta: No wait, you wrote "cheap"...

eta again: By "bridge tolls", I meant "an RFID fast lane thingamajig" as csol47 so aptly posted below. AKA the beep beep thingy, which goes to my otherwise-unused USAA World MC.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 7
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Non profit organizations,   Charities, Educational, Cultural.

Message 5 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto to everyone...gas, phone, cell, electric, water, cable, trash and waste, insurances, credit monitoring service(s), gym, any auto-ship related services (e.g. most of our food and gocery-like items come automatically to our door), dues, subscriptions, iTunes, quarterly taxes, etc.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I thought about it a bit. A couple of them especially seem to resonate... as my overpriced utilities are on autopay to rewards cards...
Tolls... Of course most states have complex, money laundering toll systems. Even so, I could care less about the 1-2% back by imposing a higher transaction fee on the state. So I think an RFID fast lane thingamajig good for one card. For the other two I'd like to choose two charities that would bill me monthly. I'd like them to be not only serving a critical need but also to be certain that the money is going directly to aid the recipients. Maybe something that benefits homeless children and/or educational institutions, but not limited to those entities. Any suggestions?
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.