Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas to Reach Spend Bonus?

tag
bribro
Valued Contributor

Re: Ideas to Reach Spend Bonus?

+1 for Chase Gift Cards. You're essentially shifting your spending forward and you can use those gift cards over the new few months. Or liquidate using BB + WM.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 11 of 19
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

Interesting... I wonder why VR +BB is still considered the best way to MS if the Chase route doesn't have any fees.

Message 12 of 19
bribro
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous- wrote:

Interesting... I wonder why VR +BB is still considered the best way to MS if the Chase route doesn't have any fees.

Because you can only buy Chase Gift Cards with a Chase credit card, and a lot of people don't want to "mess" with chase by purchasing too many of those CGCs. At least one person was recently shut down possibly as a result of CGC abuse. You can get spend bonuses on the VRs depending on where/how you buy them as well.

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 13 of 19
zerobacan
Established Contributor

@bribro wrote:

@Anonymous- wrote:

Because you can only buy Chase Gift Cards with a Chase credit card, and a lot of people don't want to "mess" with chase by purchasing too many of those CGCs. At least one person was recently shut down possibly as a result of CGC abuse. You can get spend bonuses on the VRs depending on where/how you buy them as well.

So

you can buy VR with any CC?

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 14 of 19
bribro
Valued Contributor

Yes, whatever the merchant accepts.

Message 15 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@bribro wrote:

Yes, whatever the merchant accepts.

Yes, VR can be bought at (many) CVS, and at 7-11 and gas stations in various areas, with any credit card accepted by the store.  Various credit cards offer bonuses in these categories, getting say 5x points.  Getting the gift cards from Chase is only 1x, but that is fine for meeting minimum spend.   And in particular CSP doesn't offer bonuses in those areas or in supermarkets (where you can buy gift cards for about $5.95 per $500), so for CSP this is ideal, because it is free.

Message 16 of 19
supervelous
Regular Contributor

What is VR?

Message 17 of 19
red259
Super Contributor

@zerobacan wrote:

I ve been also thinking about buying something and then return it.... DW returned about 600 dollars worth of things to get Amex delta... Im thinking they will for sure take the miles away... am I totally right?

I think the paypal and the rent are good options.

also pay the car insurance in full for a year...

Yea I wouldn't be doing that. First off I think if the CCC looked at it they would yank the bonus and I have had friends who lost everything by doing that, granted it was on a much larger scale and it wasn't to get a credit card bonus. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 18 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@supervelous wrote:

What is VR?

Vanilla Reload.  These are cards that you purchase and put an amount of money between $20 and $500, and cost an additional $3.95.   You can then use them to reload Bluebird and some other similar cards.

VR and Bluebird are advertized for the unbanked/underbanked (making them pay a fee to make a payment to someone) but they are heavily used in manufactured spend.  So I buy a $500 card at CVS with my 5x TYP, costs $503.95, but earns me 2515 TYP and my $500 back.  That 2,500 TYP is enough for a $25 gift card, or about $33 when used for travel.   Do this 20 times a month if doing it small, 200+ times a month for bigger players, and it adds up!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.