cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If Hyatt buys Starwood (Update: Marriott will buy Starwood)

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: If Hyatt buys Starwood (Update: Marriott will buy Starwood)

@PNW_Hunter wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@PNW_Hunter wrote:

The Mariott acquisition of Starwood is very dissapointing Smiley Sad I was looking forward to apping for an Amex SPG when the 30k point offer comes around; however, I'm just going to see how the merger plays out and if SPG Amex gets dissolved, or if SPG points get moved over to the mariott program.

Looks like its now Chase UR vs Amex MR instead of having SPG in the mix now Smiley Sad

This is the nightmare scenario, since SPG points are so much more valuable than Marriott points.  However, everyone has at least 12 months to burn them, which everyone should.  Don't wait around for the devaluation.

If you can use SPGs, app for the card now, and just use the bonus points on your next stay or FF transfer.  It really is time to churn and burn!

Safe to say we won't see a 30k SPG Amex offer in the next 12 months or so?

You may, but the value of the offer is based on when it's introduced.  The deal closes in middle of 2016, which means you should use up all the points by early 2017.  Unless, like Barclays, Amex negotiates to keep part of the relationship post closing.

Message 51 of 116
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is interesting. Since chase is dropping Amtrak from UR..... and Amtrak is still part of SPG for transfers... I wonder if Amtrak will then be dropped if SPG somehow is acquired by Chase via mariott?

That sucks. In my mind I was always kind of planning on ONE DAY grabbing the SPG specifically to transfer to amtrak....

Still can, have 12 months.  App now, get the points, then clear them out.  Depending on what happens, just close the card before the next year's annual fee.

Message 52 of 116
ray8806
Regular Contributor

URGENT Marriott/SPG Merger!!

I just received an email from SPG saying they and Marriott are merging.

For the moment, the reward systems are not combining. But it alludes to this being done in the future.

What will this mean for our co-branded cards??
EQ: 710(FICO) EX: 695(FICO) TU: 708(FICO)
Message 53 of 116
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: URGENT Marriott/SPG Merger!!

At least a year out, unless you hear otherwise. Use up your SPG points or transfer them out. There are quite a few threads on here already talking about this, and a discussion on The Points Guy.

Message 54 of 116
Anonymous
Not applicable

Been posted several times already today

Message 55 of 116
ray8806
Regular Contributor

*facepalm*

Well...I thought I was being news savvy. I'm sorry.
EQ: 710(FICO) EX: 695(FICO) TU: 708(FICO)
Message 56 of 116
sjt
Senior Contributor

They will most likely have two cards like they do with Hilton.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 57 of 116
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ray8806 wrote:
*facepalm*

Well...I thought I was being news savvy. I'm sorry.

No biggie.  It happens and it is important news

Message 58 of 116
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

Email I received today...

Today's exciting announcement.

Today we're excited to share the news that Starwood Hotels & Resorts will join together with Marriott International to create the world's largest hotel company. For our Starwood Preferred Guest® (SPG®) members, this will mean even more choices in even more places, giving you access to 1.1 million rooms across 5,500 hotels and resorts in more than 100 countries.

We will work to bring you the very best of SPG and Marriott Rewards®, two of the most rewarding loyalty programs in our industry. Our members are at the core of everything we do, and that will not change.

Today is the first day of a long journey as we combine our two companies. For now, we remain separate, and there is no change to your SPG program status, your Starpoints® or your existing reservations. You will continue to earn Starpoints and elite stay/night credit for your stays, as well as bonus Starpoints for any promotions in which you are participating. There is no change to how you manage your SPG account or book reservations.

Over the coming months, as we have more to share, we'll be sure to reach out to you by email, at spg.com and via twitter (@spg). In the meantime, we remain at your service wherever you need us — whether in our hotels, atspg.com, on the SPG mobile app or via our Customer Contact Centers.

Thank you for sharing your travels with us.
DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 59 of 116
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would assume the AmEx card will be dying off then as Marriott has all the cards with Chase.  I don't see them keeping both cards but boy has AmEx been losing business lately!  I keep waiting to hear about new cards moving to them or them getting some new offerings but no, only people taking business away from them.

Message 60 of 116
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.