cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If Hyatt buys Starwood (Update: Marriott will buy Starwood)

tag
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

If Hyatt buys Starwood (Update: Marriott will buy Starwood)

It will be interesting to see how the rewards programs are handled.  Combined or maintained separate?   

I like both so probably won't affect me and I use the Hyatt Chase and SPG Amex for travel as favorites.

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 1 of 116
115 REPLIES 115
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: If Hyatt buys Starwood

It would probably be a slow integration brand by brand. They'd have to pull all of the spg elites in, and with the different elite levels spg has (like 15 tiers of Platinum lol) it would be odd to see everyone lumped in as a diamond. Hyatt might need to make another elite level above diamond.

Hopefully they don't keep both programs separate though, like what ihg and Kempton are doing.

Also curious to see what would happen to the spg airline transfer program, as it is one of the strongest pieces of starwoods rewards program
Message 2 of 116
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Is there talks of Hyatt buying Starwood out there?

Message 3 of 116
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:
It would probably be a slow integration brand by brand. They'd have to pull all of the spg elites in, and with the different elite levels spg has (like 15 tiers of Platinum lol) it would be odd to see everyone lumped in as a diamond. Hyatt might need to make another elite level above diamond.

Hopefully they don't keep both programs separate though, like what ihg and Kempton are doing.

Also curious to see what would happen to the spg airline transfer program, as it is one of the strongest pieces of starwoods rewards program

Are u sure about this? Someone I know at a kimpton property says they will eventually be merged.

Message 4 of 116
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Eventually doesn't solve anything currently though. Ihg acquired Kimpton almost a year ago and there hasn't been any news I've heard about.
Message 5 of 116
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought Starwood was thinking about buying IHG.

The footprint of IHG with the reward chart of Hyatt would be very nice...but it's all speculation.

Message 6 of 116
jsucool76
Super Contributor

It's Hyatt and spg. Not ihg. XD
Message 7 of 116
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's some company "ILG" that is buying "Vistana" from Starwood, but it doesn't look like Vistana is a big piece of Starwood.

Message 8 of 116
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I haven't really been following this hyatt potential buying of spg, but would that mean that hyatt points would have same value as spg  because that would be quite an big deal since spg are probably worth the most out of any of the miles currencies out there. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 9 of 116
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

From my analyst:

"Shares of Starwood are significantly outperforming the market this morning amid news that the company is in talks to be sold to Hyatt Hotels (H:NYSE)".

Though I don't own HOT, this was the catalyst they were looking for. The deal is not finalized, so any speculation would be extremely premature.
Signature needs updating
Message 10 of 116
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.