cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If Hyatt buys Starwood (Update: Marriott will buy Starwood)

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: If Hyatt buys Starwood (Update: Marriott will buy Starwood)

Based on having been through severl of these now, here's what I think will happen:

1.  Rewards programs will remain separate, for at leat 12 - 18 months. 

2.  Just as with the Ritz, SPG will be eventually merged into the Marriott.  

3.  Amex vs. Chase - this could only mean good things for travel rewards enthusiasts.

Regardless of what Marriott decides to do (assuming the buyout has closed and will be approved), basic strategy dictates the following:  (1) if you haven't done so, churn SPG; (2) app for Marriott cards; (3) liberally use SPG points for hotel redemptions; and, (4) within 12 months, transfer with 25% to FF programs, if inclined to do so.

The uncertainty is what will happen to SPG Platinums?  I'm curious to see how Marriott will incorporate those of us with lifetime Platinum status.  As they say, all good things must come to an end.  

Message 41 of 116
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

Wondering out loud if this is why AMEX Platinum gives gold status with Hilton now....do they know they are losing SPG (and offering gold status with that CC)? HUMMMMMM

Message 42 of 116
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@odd_dog wrote:

Wondering out loud if this is why AMEX Platinum gives gold status with Hilton now....do they know they are losing SPG (and offering gold status with that CC)? HUMMMMMM

I mentioned the same thing when the hyatt deal was first talked about. Seems more than likely that is what happened. 

Message 43 of 116
Open123
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

I mentioned the same thing when the hyatt deal was first talked about. Seems more than likely that is what happened. 

Very feasible hypothesis.  

Losing SPG's Gold status would diminish the value proposition for the Plat for many, in my view.  If this is the case, it's a good time to app for a Plat bonus and enjoy both Hiltong and SPG Gold for a year, since it may be the final year of SPG Gold via the Plat.

Finally, a word of advice to those with SPG points.  The "more" Marriott insists on not changing the SPG program, the more you should spend your points.  Always, ALWAYS, act in opposite of what "they" say.  Always be amongst the first wave out the door.  

Time to allocate more time for vacationing next year!

Message 44 of 116
jsucool76
Super Contributor

SPG gold status is a sham, as is most low level hotel elite status.

Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, they all offer almost no benefits. I don't think SPG gold was a huge selling point of the amex plat. Hilton gold, in my opinion is infinitely more valuable due to the free breakfast and much larger footprint than SPG.

I think this acquisition will drastically devalue marriott's elite levels, and be a huge plague to those with SPG platinum. SPG Platinum requires 50 nights to attain. Marriott platinum requires 75 nights. At 50 nights, all SPG plat's will really be marriott Gold members. (This isn't counting 75 and 100 night plats).

Marriott gold status, arguably the most valuable mid-tier elite status of any hotel program, will become so crowded, much like it did after Marriott's deal with united airlines. Hotel lounges will become crazy, upgrades will be nonexistant. Leaving marriott only one option, nerf gold elite, or add in another elite level somewhere.

Message 45 of 116
Open123
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
SPG gold status is a sham, as is most low level hotel elite status.

Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, they all offer almost no benefits. I don't think SPG gold was a huge selling point of the amex plat. Hilton gold, in my opinion is infinitely more valuable due to the free breakfast and much larger footprint than SPG.

I think this acquisition will drastically devalue marriott's elite levels, and be a huge plague to those with SPG platinum. SPG Platinum requires 50 nights to attain. Marriott platinum requires 75 nights. At 50 nights, all SPG plat's will really be marriott Gold members. (This isn't counting 75 and 100 night plats).

Marriott gold status, arguably the most valuable mid-tier elite status of any hotel program, will become so crowded, much like it did after Marriott's deal with united airlines. Hotel lounges will become crazy, upgrades will be nonexistant. Leaving marriott only one option, nerf gold elite, or add in another elite level somewhere.

In my view, the appeal for SPG Gold is the ability to earn extras SPG points and Delta points for crossover rewards without having to meet or maintain the requiste amount of stays.  Personally, I've never valued the free breakfast (I place very little value on free food, in general) on Hilton.  If I didn't have lifetime Plat status, I'd value SPG Gold over Hilton Gold based on the aforementioned reasons.  For me, the main appeal for SPG is for the value of their points and incredible return with opportunistic redemptions.

Converely, neither Hiltons nor Marriotts have ever had much appeal for me because of their underwhelming rewards programs.  Even after the deal closes, I'm not sure if Marriott's added footprint will make a huge difference, at least it wouldn't for me.  I've always found the combination of SPG, Hyatts, Ritz and boutique hotels cover all the areas I frequent.  If SPG devalues to the level of a Marriott/Hilton, I'll simply abandon it outright.

The problem is how to use all those points before devaulation.

Message 46 of 116
PNW_Hunter
Regular Contributor

The Mariott acquisition of Starwood is very dissapointing Smiley Sad I was looking forward to apping for an Amex SPG when the 30k point offer comes around; however, I'm just going to see how the merger plays out and if SPG Amex gets dissolved, or if SPG points get moved over to the mariott program.

Looks like its now Chase UR vs Amex MR instead of having SPG in the mix now Smiley Sad

Message 47 of 116
Open123
Super Contributor

@PNW_Hunter wrote:

The Mariott acquisition of Starwood is very dissapointing Smiley Sad I was looking forward to apping for an Amex SPG when the 30k point offer comes around; however, I'm just going to see how the merger plays out and if SPG Amex gets dissolved, or if SPG points get moved over to the mariott program.

Looks like its now Chase UR vs Amex MR instead of having SPG in the mix now Smiley Sad

This is the nightmare scenario, since SPG points are so much more valuable than Marriott points.  However, everyone has at least 12 months to burn them, which everyone should.  Don't wait around for the devaluation.

If you can use SPGs, app for the card now, and just use the bonus points on your next stay or FF transfer.  It really is time to churn and burn!

Message 48 of 116
PNW_Hunter
Regular Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@PNW_Hunter wrote:

This is the nightmare scenario, since SPG points are so much more valuable than Marriott points.  However, everyone has at least 12 months to burn them, which everyone should.  Don't wait around for the devaluation.

If you can use SPGs, app for the card now, and just use the bonus points on your next stay or FF transfer.  It really is time to churn and burn!

Safe to say we won't see a 30k SPG Amex offer in the next 12 months or so?

Message 49 of 116
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is interesting. Since chase is dropping Amtrak from UR..... and Amtrak is still part of SPG for transfers... I wonder if Amtrak will then be dropped if SPG somehow is acquired by Chase via mariott?

That sucks. In my mind I was always kind of planning on ONE DAY grabbing the SPG specifically to transfer to amtrak....

Message 50 of 116
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.