cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I Close Wells Fargo Bank Accts, Will They Close my CC?

tag
spritezero1017
Valued Member

If I Close Wells Fargo Bank Accts, Will They Close my CC?

Hello, 

Two brief questions, if I may:

1. If I close my Wells Fargo bank accounts will they look to close my credit card as I would be ending my regualr banking relationship with them?

2. Will it harm my credit score to close these accounts as they are 15 year old accounts? 

Details:

I have multiple Wells Fargo bank accounts - my own Checking & Savings that I've had for about 15 years, and my teenage son's Checking & Savings which are only about 6 months old. These accounts are rarely used bc when I bought a new car 6 months ago DCU gave me a very good loan rate and so I moved about 95% of my daily banking to them. 

I've missed local banking (No DCU branches here in Florida obviously) so I just took advantage of an offer from Chase to open a Checking account for a cash bonus. I have 4 premier Chase Credit Cards and I like them a lot. So my banking is going to shift to Chase except for that which I have to do with DCU for my car loan relationship.

So.... I have a Wells Fargo credit card that is 6 months old and has a $9,000 limit with no annual fee. I never use it but it counts well toward my total credit ceiling and so helps my utilization and I'd prefer. I could feasibly use it a bit to show some usage so they wouldn't consider it totally dormant (which I would have done before its anniversary anyway).

Thanks for an insight. Much appreciated.

Credit Cards
Chase Slate (16.4K) / First National AmEx (12.7K), Citi AAdvantage (11K), Barclay Arrival (10.5K) / Capital One Quicksilver (10K), Wells Fargo Rewards (9K) / Chase Sapphire Preferred (8K) / DCU Platinum Rewards (7.5K) / Citi ThankYou Premier (6.2K) / Discover IT (4.4K) / CapOne Venture (5K) / JC Penney Mastercard (1.6K) / Citi Simplicity (3.8K) / AmEx Starwood Preferred (3K) / AmEx Blue Preferred (3K) / Citi Diamond Preferred (1.2K)

Store Cards
Firestone (1.2K) / Marathon Gas ($930) / Fingerhut ($750) / Best Buy ($550) / Citgo ($300) / Macy's ($200) /
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: If I Close Wells Fargo Bank Accts, Will They Close my CC?

@spritezero1017 wrote:

Hello, 

Two brief questions, if I may:

1. If I close my Wells Fargo bank accounts will they look to close my credit card as I would be ending my regualr banking relationship with them?

2. Will it harm my credit score to close these accounts as they are 15 year old accounts? 

Details:

I have multiple Wells Fargo bank accounts - my own Checking & Savings that I've had for about 15 years, and my teenage son's Checking & Savings which are only about 6 months old. These accounts are rarely used bc when I bought a new car 6 months ago DCU gave me a very good loan rate and so I moved about 95% of my daily banking to them. 

I've missed local banking (No DCU branches here in Florida obviously) so I just took advantage of an offer from Chase to open a Checking account for a cash bonus. I have 4 premier Chase Credit Cards and I like them a lot. So my banking is going to shift to Chase except for that which I have to do with DCU for my car loan relationship.

So.... I have a Wells Fargo credit card that is 6 months old and has a $9,000 limit with no annual fee. I never use it but it counts well toward my total credit ceiling and so helps my utilization and I'd prefer. I could feasibly use it a bit to show some usage so they wouldn't consider it totally dormant (which I would have done before its anniversary anyway).

Thanks for an insight. Much appreciated.

I had a wells fargo checking and savings, and a CC

Closed my two bank accounts with them, they didn't close my CC

I then re-opened a checking account with them when they sent me a mailer offering $100 after 10 debit card purchases. Again, no problems. 

I also live in FL if it makes you feel better Smiley Tongue 

You'll be fine. 

And no, closing checking/savings accounts work harm your credit or credit score. 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If I Close Wells Fargo Bank Accts, Will They Close my CC?

The post above is correct, WF will not close your card if you close your deposit accounts. The only time it really matters if you have a deposit account with a bank is when you apply for a CC. They can take that relationship into account  (and their internal score) when making the credit decision. For example a large bank I use to work at would approve a CC if they had a checking for three years in good standing with an average balance of at least $1500, the limit may only be $500 but still.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.