cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I add my son as an authorized user how will it affect his credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I add my son as an authorized user how will it affect his credit?

I want to add my son as an authorized user to my credit card so he can start building credit and have it for college. He's quite responsible with money, he's actually been helping me pay bills since he was around 13-14 years old, so I'm not worried about not trusting him. The thing is, will any negative things on my account from years ago affect him at all? If, for example, my credit card has late payments will it affect him? The guy on the phone with capital one told me that it should start affecting his credit with what is on the account from the time he is added, but I am not sure if this is correct because the guy told me he is not a credit expert and he is not totally sure. What do you guys think? 

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: If I add my son as an authorized user how will it affect his credit?

@Anonymous wrote:

I want to add my son as an authorized user to my credit card so he can start building credit and have it for college. He's quite responsible with money, he's actually been helping me pay bills since he was around 13-14 years old, so I'm not worried about not trusting him. The thing is, will any negative things on my account from years ago affect him at all? If, for example, my credit card has late payments will it affect him? The guy on the phone with capital one told me that it should start affecting his credit with what is on the account from the time he is added, but I am not sure if this is correct because the guy told me he is not a credit expert and he is not totally sure. What do you guys think? 

Any AU that you add will inherit your entire payment history, so if there are late payments on the account then I would advise not adding him to your account.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 18
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello and welcome to the forums.

He will inherit the entire history of this account both good and bad and will do so as soon as it starts reporting. Also any new negatives going forward will impact his score.

Being added as an AU can help him IF the account is older than any of his (older than his current AAoA is even better), IF the payment history is long and clean, IF the utilization is very low, and IF it will report to the CRA's. Not all cards will do this. You need to ask the company first. 

ETA: Out typed by pizzadude!

Message 3 of 18
Smerri1029
Regular Contributor

Not to hijack the thread but hopefully more of an addition:

If I were to add my brother as an AU on my Chase United card, I now know he would get the whole history but if in 6-12 months I remove him, will it just disappear from his reports or would it still show as maybe a closed account for him?

What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Barclays US Air, Citi Prestige
What's In My Sock Drawer: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, SME FCU Visa
Message 4 of 18
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Smerri1029 wrote:

Not to hijack the thread but hopefully more of an addition:

If I were to add my brother as an AU on my Chase United card, I now know he would get the whole history but if in 6-12 months I remove him, will it just disappear from his reports or would it still show as maybe a closed account for him?

It depends....sometimes the accounts are deleted, and sometimes they just stop updating.    To get the AU accounts removed it might take a little addional work ~ either calling the creditor directly and following up to request removal, or disputing with the CRAs.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm... alright - but this would be his first line of credit ever. So this would be the oldest of all of  what he has as it would also be the first. Would that hit him with late payments still? If the answer is yes then I will set up a secured card.

Message 6 of 18
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hmm... alright - but this would be his first line of credit ever. So this would be the oldest of all of  what he has as it would also be the first. Would that hit him with late payments still? If the answer is yes then I will set up a secured card.

How many late payments are there, and how severe ?  30, 60, 90 days ? How long ago did they occur ?   I would lean towards not adding negative accounts to his CRs.

Message 7 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@pizzadude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How many late payments are there, and how severe ?  30, 60, 90 days ? How long ago did they occur ?   I would lean towards not adding negative accounts to his CRs.

That's really the key question.

Open up two secured cards for him now would be my recommendation.  

If the tradeline you're considering  has it's last late 5-6 years ago, you can consider adding him at some point pre-next application round for your son.  That probably is a few years anyway since it requires declarable income, and the important thing is to get his own tradelines setup as soon as possible.  The AU on the other hand doesn't have to be done right now, if it makes sense later, do it, if not, no huge loss.

Edit: for this one particular case, focus on secured cards that graduate.  I don't know your son and what his collegiate plans are, but in the case that he remains financially dependant for the next 4-5 years, those graduated cards get around the usual 2-3 year shelf-life of most secured credit cards.

        
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

In late 2010 I was 90 days late (I forgot I even had the card and I was throwing out capitol one mail as they kept sending me offers I didn't want, I know very stupid on my part) and on FICO for some reason it says I am 30 days late but I paid off the entire balance of 896 dollars with my paycheck this week and it posted so I don't quite understand. I think I need to run a new FICO score for more updated information.

Message 9 of 18
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

In late 2010 I was 90 days late (I forgot I even had the card and I was throwing out capitol one mail as they kept sending me offers I didn't want, I know very stupid on my part) and on FICO for some reason it says I am 30 days late but I paid off the entire balance of 896 dollars with my paycheck this week and it posted so I don't quite understand. I think I need to run a new FICO score for more updated information.

I would advise to NOT add him as an AU on an account with 90 day lates less than 2 years old.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.