cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I close a formerly deliquent CC account, how long will it stay on my report?

tag
lithium78
Established Contributor

If I close a formerly deliquent CC account, how long will it stay on my report?

A few years back, I was ill for a long time and I fell 90 days behind on one credit card and 30 days behind on another.  My situation has improved a lot since then and I'd like to soon get rid of those two cards with high annual fees.  I know that closed credit card accounts stay on your record for ten years.  Does that mean that if I closed these cards, the deliquencies would stay on my record for ten years or would they fall off after seven years as they would if they stayed open?

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: If I close a formerly deliquent CC account, how long will it stay on my report?

@lithium78 wrote:

A few years back, I was ill for a long time and I fell 90 days behind on one credit card and 30 days behind on another.  My situation has improved a lot since then and I'd like to soon get rid of those two cards with high annual fees.  I know that closed credit card accounts stay on your record for ten years.  Does that mean that if I closed these cards, the deliquencies would stay on my record for ten years or would they fall off after seven years as they would if they stayed open?

The CRTP of 7 years for late payments would still apply whether the account is open or not.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 3
sgs10
Regular Contributor

Re: If I close a formerly deliquent CC account, how long will it stay on my report?

Late payments will stay on for 7 years

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.