cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I get offer to "upgrade" to MC/VS, should I?

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

If I get offer to "upgrade" to MC/VS, should I?

Hey everyone!

I've got 4 store (retail) cards that have the potential later down the road to upgrade to the MasterCard/Visa version via invite. 

Walmart, JCP, Gap, Loft

If I get an offer to upgrade someday, should I take it? I know they will close the store card, and the new MC/ VS will be a new line on my reports, with the possibility of a decrease in my scores some because of that.  I would like to take the offer, just because its going to be quite a few years still before I'm eligible for majors with people like Chase, Amex, Discover, and Citi, due to my BK.  Thoughts?

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: If I get offer to "upgrade" to MC/VS, should I?

UMM YES CRAZY! Smiley Tongue

I dream of upgrade offers and I just know I'm going to have to live through you first... I'm just sure you will get it before me!

Message 2 of 28
elim
Senior Contributor

depends where you are on AAoA and when you are planning your next spree.

i thought about walmart...

if i get the offer now, no way.

if i get it in 6 months... yes.

Message 3 of 28
JustinS
Regular Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

Hey everyone!

I've got 4 store (retail) cards that have the potential later down the road to upgrade to the MasterCard/Visa version via invite. 

Walmart, JCP, Gap, Loft

If I get an offer to upgrade someday, should I take it? I know they will close the store card, and the new MC/ VS will be a new line on my reports, with the possibility of a decrease in my scores some because of that.  I would like to take the offer, just because its going to be quite a few years still before I'm eligible for majors with people like Chase, Amex, Discover, and Citi, due to my BK.  Thoughts?

I'd definitely think it'd be a good idea to take any upgrade offers provided they do not have AF tied to them etc.

Message 4 of 28
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

CA.... Lmao!!! It's so funny, because I live thru you as well!! I don't anticipate getting upgrade offers till my scores hit at least 680+ on all three, which might be a year or two still.

Elim.... Not planning any sprees, I've got a lot of credit now, and with a bk showing, can really go on typical "sprees", lol. My next mini sorta spree isn't planned until December 2016, which at that point I will attempt Discover, NASA, Lowes, and DCU . Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 28
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

Yes!

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 6 of 28
alvon123
Super Contributor

YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!  UPGRADE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

Message 7 of 28
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I'm under the impression the upgrades are by invitation only, it that correct?? If I do get one, I will take it. Smiley Happy my scores may have to be closer to the 670-680+ range first I bet before I'm considered??
Message 8 of 28
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

yes

Message 9 of 28
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Smiley Happy Yes when I got my Walmart upgraded I got a nice CLI with it that reduced the pain of the new TL hit.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.