Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I pay less than the minimal payment will this report as 30days late

tag
2IMPROVE
Regular Contributor

If I pay less than the minimal payment will this report as 30days late

If I pay less than the monthly minimal payment, but within the 30 days, will I be reported as 30days late on my credit report??
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: If I pay less than the minimal payment will this report as 30days late

2IMPROVE wrote:
If I pay less than the monthly minimal payment, but within the 30 days, will I be reported as 30days late on my credit report??

if you do not pay at least the minimum within 30 days of the due date the lender may report the lateness at their discretion.  IIRC, amex for eg. didn't always report late pays less than 60 days, so it can also vary by lender.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 11
2IMPROVE
Regular Contributor

The card is with Home Depot

Message 3 of 11
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

It is my understanding that paying less than the minimum is equivalent to not paying at all. I would, if at all possible, work hard to come up with the minimum payment. 
TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 4 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

2IMPROVE wrote:

In a perfect world, you would not be reported, as long as you came up with the rest of the minimum payment before the next due date (next statement date with some lenders.) Do expect to get slapped with a late fee, a cancellation of any good promo rates you have going, and a ratejack on your APR.

But there are lenders who will report a 30 even before thirty days have gone by. I don't *think* Citi does, but I would sure hate to test it.

Sorry to hear about the apparent tough times. Smiley Sad Is there no way that you can scramble up the minimum in time?

eta: cna't splel
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 10-09-2009 04:02 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 11
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Do yourself a favor......call them.  Work the minimum if you absolutely have to go hungry and separate your toilet paper, lol!!!!!!
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I f you have a 30 late that is acutaly under 30 das I would dispute it providing a statement showing the due date, and soming showing when the proving the date that the account brought back up to current
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I discovered one exception to the "minimum" amount due. If you are over limit, the entire overlimit amount is included in the min due. However, that is not necessarily the minimum amount that must be paid to avoid late fees and/or 30 day late marks. I had a card that was over by nearly $300. (A vacation disaster, and ended up charging gas on it to drive cross country.) Anyway, I was perturbed to learn after going a couple weeks late on the account (since I didn't  have that much for the payment) that I could have made an on time payment of about $30. I'd still have gotten another overlimit fee, but would have saved the late fee.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it will almost assuredly be reported as 30 days late.

The "minimum due" means that this amount must be paid.  If you pay less than this amount, the difference is in fact late....not paid by the due date, not as agreed....and therefore is correctly reported late.  The only variance will be the amount which is late.

For example, if your minimum due is $75 and you pay $50, then after 30 days you have $25 that is 30 days late.  Thus you get the 30 day ding.  You also will get hit with the late payment fee, which raises your next minimum due to be your normal minimum, plus the deficienct amount plus the late fee.  This means your next month minimum is now probaly $139.

In addition, you open yourself up to being put at the "DEFAULT APR" which can be extremely high, which will most likely increase your minium payment due because now you have more accuring in interest payments.

The point I am making:  don't be late with the minimum.  Go down and sell blood plasma.  Recycle newspapers and aluminum cans.  Get another job even if it is working fast food and cut other expenses to the bone (plus shave the bone).  Being late will only exaserbate your financial problems with higher interest, late fees, negative credit which can trigger other CCC's who use "universal default" clauses which say that if you are late "ANYWHERE" on any account with any creditor, this can trigger your other account to go to default APR rates.

Good luck.

Message 9 of 11
Desert-Rat
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, it will almost assuredly be reported as 30 days late.

The "minimum due" means that this amount must be paid.  If you pay less than this amount, the difference is in fact late....not paid by the due date, not as agreed....and therefore is correctly reported late.  The only variance will be the amount which is late.

For example, if your minimum due is $75 and you pay $50, then after 30 days you have $25 that is 30 days late.  Thus you get the 30 day ding.  You also will get hit with the late payment fee, which raises your next minimum due to be your normal minimum, plus the deficienct amount plus the late fee.  This means your next month minimum is now probably $139.

In addition, you open yourself up to being put at the "DEFAULT APR" which can be extremely high, which will most likely increase your minium payment due because now you have more accuring in interest payments.

The point I am making:  don't be late with the minimum.  Go down and sell blood plasma.  Recycle newspapers and aluminum cans.  Get another job even if it is working fast food and cut other expenses to the bone (plus shave the bone).  Being late will only exaserbate your financial problems with higher interest, late fees, negative credit which can trigger other CCC's who use "universal default" clauses which say that if you are late "ANYWHERE" on any account with any creditor, this can trigger your other account to go to default APR rates.

Good luck.

I can vouch for that!  In Sept. 05,  my DH, who is  was an AU on my account, charged 28.00 on top of a 6K 12mo. interest free deal I had going.  He didn't mention it to me.  I rarely even opened the statements because I knew I wouldn't owe anything until July 06, when I'd pay it in full.

That lousy 28 bucks cost me late charges AND a ding on my credit report and I'll be wearing that dang RED FLAG until 2012.

Pay it now or pay for it later......

D-R 

(Mr. D-R's credit card met an early demise thanks to Mrs. D-R's shredder!)  Smiley Mad

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.