Not applicable

Re: If I purchased GC w/ freedom...

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
At the very least if you get a csp or ink card, you will be able to get 1.7 cents per point by using your UR points for southwest flights. That turns 5% into 8.5% on your amazon purchases now. And this is just a low estimate. You can get much better value out of transfer partners like BA, United and Hyatt

even if i just transfer to the economy tickets??

The whole "international first class" stuff is the way to get the REALLY big valuations (and arguments exist about whether that is a proper valuation anyway, would you really have paid the cash price), but you can still get well above 1c per point in coach, with the proper transfers.  Avios for short haul is an example

This is correct and it is what I meant. 

For example. 

Use BA avios to fly any domestic flight in the US (on American flights) that is less than 700 miles for 4500 avios. For example, you can fly one way between chicago and washington dc, chicago and baltimore etc for only 4500 avios. obviously these flights cost way more than $45 one way! 

On United for example you can go to Asia and have a stopover in Europe for 80,000 miles. Yes that is a lot of miles but you can go purchase a ticket to Bali and have a layover in Paris (or whatnot) for 80,000 miles. That would obviously cost more than $800! 

As for Hyatt, it is worth it if you are going to go for a nice hotel. For 25k points you can stay at the amazing and romantic Andaz Maui. Rooms there are in the $700 range! 

This is extremely appealing to me and the direction I would like to go with my travel cards.  Which cards would I need to do this?  Sorry for the stupid question, I've followed this thread but apparently not explicitly enough.

In that particular example its UR based cards so Ink Plus or Chase sapphire preferred. The thing i would think about is where do you want to go or where do you stay at an lot. That can help you decide which card to get. I like amex MR and spg cards more then UR ones presently, but the signup bonuses aren't as lucrative at the moment

Say I would like to go to a variety of exotic locales like Bali, Hawaii, and Fiji.  Would the CSP or AMEX cards be better?  I'm not committed to one particular hotel chain.

Edit* Sp

Message 31 of 39
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
At the very least if you get a csp or ink card, you will be able to get 1.7 cents per point by using your UR points for southwest flights. That turns 5% into 8.5% on your amazon purchases now. And this is just a low estimate. You can get much better value out of transfer partners like BA, United and Hyatt

The whole "international first class" stuff is the way to get the REALLY big valuations (and arguments exist about whether that is a proper valuation anyway, would you really have paid the cash price), but you can still get well above 1c per point in coach, with the proper transfers.  Avios for short haul is an example

For example. 

Use BA avios to fly any domestic flight in the US (on American flights) that is less than 700 miles for 4500 avios. For example, you can fly one way between chicago and washington dc, chicago and baltimore etc for only 4500 avios. obviously these flights cost way more than $45 one way! 

On United for example you can go to Asia and have a stopover in Europe for 80,000 miles. Yes that is a lot of miles but you can go purchase a ticket to Bali and have a layover in Paris (or whatnot) for 80,000 miles. That would obviously cost more than $800! 

As for Hyatt, it is worth it if you are going to go for a nice hotel. For 25k points you can stay at the amazing and romantic Andaz Maui. Rooms there are in the $700 range! 

This is extremely appealing to me and the direction I would like to go with my travel cards.  Which cards would I need to do this?  Sorry for the stupid question, I've followed this thread but apparently not explicitly enough.

In that particular example its UR based cards so Ink Plus or Chase sapphire preferred. The thing i would think about is where do you want to go or where do you stay at an lot. That can help you decide which card to get. I like amex MR and spg cards more then UR ones presently, but the signup bonuses aren't as lucrative at the moment

Say I would like to go to a variety of exotic locales like Bali, Hawaii, and Fiji.  Would the CSP or AMEX cards be better?  I'm not committed to one particular hotel chain.

Edit* Sp

For hawaii i think sq is probably best deal. Good thing about that you can transfer to SQ from both MR and UR cards. Bali on the other hand like most flights to far east is best done via individual airline cards either alaska air or AA/US air is probbaly doable for around 70-80k miles.  You can probably do it on UAL also for 80k which is direct partner of CSP. I think if you want to use an MR partner there is an chance you could do it via alitalia, which would probably alllow you to fly korean air through seoul to get to Bali. 

As far as card to use points for hotels CSP is the better value option with Hyatt. Marriot and hilton are horrible values. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 32 of 39
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@elim wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For example. 

no doubt... i was looking at SPG last night (again) and it was 25k after 5k spend. eeeeek

35k probably best available signup bonus.for spg you will find. Only one signup bonus per amex cards makes it difficult accumulate spg points with personal cards. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 33 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For example. 

Edit* Sp

I would get the csp card now, as it has the 40k bonus. you can transfer those points to ba, southwest, united, hyatt and more! 

AMEX MR points are ok. They have BA as a transfer partner but that is about it as far as i am concerned. I hate Delta with a vengeance but not everyone does. 

SPG points are also quite good, but generally they are more appropriate for big spender type of people. 

You can also get cards with the individual programs, for example

citi aadvantage - 20k aadvantage miles enough for one way coach to europe (aka winter break tickets!) 

barclay us airways - get it for the signup bonus of (now) 60k dividend miles,which will become aadvantage miles

chase hyatt - two free nights as signup bonus (amazing deal, redeem at the most expensive park hyatt you can find) and gives you one free night at ANY hyatt every year which more than makes up for the annual fee

chase BA visa - get it for the 50k avios bonus, annual fee waived. 

chase southwest - get it for the 50k bonus when it comes around. Bonus: get two of these and get a companion pass! 

if you travel to europe ever i strongly suggest getting the us bank carlson card if you can get approved for it. It has a 40k anniversary bonus, which is easily worth $200, usually $300, way more than the $80 annual fee. 

Message 34 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For example. 

Edit* Sp

For hawaii i think sq is probably best deal. Good thing about that you can transfer to SQ from both MR and UR cards. Bali on the other hand like most flights to far east is best done via individual airline cards either alaska air or AA/US air is probbaly doable for around 70-80k miles.  You can probably do it on UAL also for 80k which is direct partner of CSP. I think if you want to use an MR partner there is an chance you could do it via alitalia, which would probably alllow you to fly korean air through seoul to get to Bali. 

As far as card to use points for hotels CSP is the better value option with Hyatt. Marriot and hilton are horrible values. 

This is soooo true!! Only two exceptions i can think of: 

getting the no annual fee hilton amex card with now 50k bonus. you can increase your AAoA due to Amex backdating, get a free one night hotel stay all for no annual fee

Marriot has a good deal for those vacation packages where you use your points to get 7 days in a top Marriot hotel and you also get 120k southwest or united points. You will need A LOT of marriott points though! 

Message 35 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good lookin out, homie.  I'll decide how to position the CSP/Ink, Citi /and or Barclay, and whatever AMEX is next into my 2015/2016 queue based on this strategy.

Message 36 of 39
hawaii-girl
Regular Contributor

@Christina_xyt wrote:
Oh wow.. So if people received their cards later.. They don't get to sign up.. I was close.. But maybe I don't get a chance to use it at all

You may be able to. I'm in the same boat. I just app'd on the 14th and got approved. I tried to call and get signed up for the 4Q rewards but they couldn't find my acct in the system yet. I called back on the 15th and the CSR said there's some sort of 7-day grace period for new accts, so that if I got my card by the 22nd, I could sign up then. Might all be a bag of wind, but I'm sure going to call as soon as I get my card to see. If you have your card, call and see. Nothing to lose.

Message 37 of 39
hawaii-girl
Regular Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For example. 

The Freedom is a UR card also.

Message 38 of 39
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@hawaii-girl wrote:

The Freedom is a UR card also.

Yes, but if the Freedom is your only UR card, you cannot transfer the points to partners

Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.