Established Member
AdPray123

If Rebuilding Credit, How Often Should I Apply For Credit Cards?

Hi Everyone,

I am working towards rebuilding my credit and wanted to know how often should I apply for a new credit card. The last time I applied for one was Jan 07. I only have this card (MasterCard) and am an auth user on a Macy's card my mom has. A friend of mine says to do one each year. Is this good advice? Should I apply for another regular credit card? Capital One sent me a "preapproved" offer. Any advice is always appreciated. This is where I get the most informative advice so far! Thanks...

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: If Rebuilding Credit, How Often Should I Apply For Credit Cards?

All you need is 2 revolving and one store charge card. Any more than that and your scores won't go too far. I wouldn't recommend adding a card a year, unless you aren't going anywhere with the cards you have (e.g. no more CLIs possible and you need the CL or fees). Adding TLs will drop your avg. age and will drop your score. If you add a card a year, your avg. age won't increase too fast as with your score.

IMO, you may benefit by adding a revolving card. Later in the future, you may want to add another store charge to replace the one you are AU on.

Established Contributor
PurpleHaze

Your subject line states rebuilding, so in order to get feedback you will probably want to post a synopsis of your credit picture (fico scores, curr utility, baddies, etc). Most here will be able to provide you feedback based on your credit picture as to who you may want to apply with. As always, however, YMMV. Good luck with your rebuilding efforts.

Starting Score: EQ: 633 (12/31/09) TU: 651 (12/31/09)
Current Score: EQ:633 TU: 651
Goal Score: EQ: 700 TU:700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Member
AdPray123

Thanks All,

My TR=589, EX=584, EQ=596. I pulled my report just now. I have a history of late payments and high util. I am paying down some old balances to help my score. I am a little confused on my scores. I will post another forum on that:smileysad: The card I opened last year was one specific for credit rebuilding and it has helped alot.

Super Contributor
marty56

What is your util now.  I would not apply for any new credit if you a derog info that is less than 2 years old or high util.
11/28/2014 FICO: EQ: 796 EX:788 TU:803
Established Member
AdPray123

My util is about 76%. I will pay those down to less than 30% before applying I guess. I just thought since I was in the process of rebuilding I should open another one but from the looks of me reading around these forums I can see not to right now. Thanks!
Regular Contributor
hayhayday

if you have a year and a half good history, i would pay down to under 50%(30% better ) and try a cap1 card(they pull all 3 but since you apply only every few years shouldnt be a problem) or go for a bofa platinum plus(likely to be offerd a semi secured with $99 deposit and $500 limit or secured card but it unsecures after year good payments and will grow with you)

If you can afford to put down a deposit i would go for bofa and then just wait until it unsecures in a year or so

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}