cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If You Are Already an AMEX Card Holder...

tag
shane82388
Established Contributor

If You Are Already an AMEX Card Holder...

Do they pull hard if you apply for another card, or is it just a soft pull?

I have an AMEX Green for about 6-7 months now and im interested in getting a revolving AMEX card at some point...possibly the Blue Cash Everyday. High 600's get me there or no?

Side note: i have a sole proprietors business ive started recently...Ive looked at business cards they have (briefly) and liked the "SimplyCash Business card" as a dedicated card for my business expenses. How hard is that to get? I have an EIN but obviously it would need t obe personally guarunteed...

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: If You Are Already an AMEX Card Holder...

In general, if you are denied, it's soft. If you are approved, they change it to a HP. Of course, YMMV. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 2 of 30
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

It's a hard pull on approval, soft on denial.

Edit: bichonmom beat me to it. Lol. But yes, as always YMMV.
Message 3 of 30
TheBronxBomber
Regular Contributor

@shane82388 wrote:

I have an AMEX Green for about 6-7 months now and im interested in getting a revolving AMEX card at some point...possibly the Blue Cash Everyday. High 600's get me there or no?

Side note: i have a sole proprietors business ive started recently...Ive looked at business cards they have (briefly) and liked the "SimplyCash Business card" as a dedicated card for my business expenses. How hard is that to get? I have an EIN but obviously it would need t obe personally guarunteed...

When I applied for an Amex Green last year, my FICO was 656. I applied for a Platinum business card 6 months later and was approved. My score at hat point was mid 700's and it was a hard pull.

Current myFICO Scores:03/08/12 EQ: 801 • TU: 801 • Bank of America TU FICO: 822 • Credit Karma Vantage: 873

My Wallet: Amex Business Platinum | Amex SPG (5k) | Amex Delta Reserve (33k) | Citi ThankYou Premier World MasterCard (26k) | Chase Mileage Club Visa Signature (15k)
Sock Drawer: Barclay Ring MasterCard (10k) | Discover More (6.5k) | CapitalOne VentureOne (4.5k) | Macy's | Amex Platinum Personal
Message 4 of 30
dmbtay
Regular Contributor

@shane82388 wrote:

in my experience all additional cards were soft pulls initially. 

Message 5 of 30
aamex
Frequent Contributor

@shane82388 wrote:

From my most recent experience, my approval was a soft pull. I apped for a Platinum with already 2 other amex accounts. I haven't gotten a notification that there was an inquiry though

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Message 6 of 30
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@aamex wrote:

@shane82388 wrote:

From my most recent experience, my approval was a soft pull. I apped for a Platinum with already 2 other amex accounts. I haven't gotten a notification that there was an inquiry though

Have you checked your EX report?

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 30
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

AMEX will only hard pull you if it is approved; soft pull otherwise.

Message 8 of 30
shane82388
Established Contributor

Oh ok so its basically a super fair deal. Id take an inquiry if it for sure got me soemthing...the whole issue i have with inquiries is they can hurt you and leave you with nothing.

So if i were to app for one of the revolving credit cards, NOT a charge card...then it would basically not cost me anything unless i was getting something out of it?

Message 9 of 30
shane82388
Established Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

AMEX will only hard pull you if it is approved; soft pull otherwise.

SWEEET.

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.