cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If You Are Already an AMEX Card Holder...

tag
shane82388
Established Contributor

Re: If You Are Already an AMEX Card Holder...

@LS2982 wrote:

@shane82388 wrote:

Do they pull hard if you apply for another card, or is it just a soft pull?

I have an AMEX Green for about 6-7 months now and im interested in getting a revolving AMEX card at some point...possibly the Blue Cash Everyday. High 600's get me there or no?

Side note: i have a sole proprietors business ive started recently...Ive looked at business cards they have (briefly) and liked the "SimplyCash Business card" as a dedicated card for my business expenses. How hard is that to get? I have an EIN but obviously it would need t obe personally guarunteed...

That's borderline. You may want to wait until the AMEX green is 1 year old and your EX FICO is 700 or above before going for BCE.

yeah...just makes me think if its truely risk free (aka, no hard inquiry, no black list from AMEX) then might be worth it to try for it sooner than later...but if it doesnt work, just try again in a few months?

Message 21 of 30
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

-----> Slightly off topic, but does Amex care if current cardmembers apply for different cards twice in 30 days? I know new account
applications have to be 30 days apart, but if you already have an account does it still hold true? I was declined once (with a
731 and 6 months of Zync history, thanks Amex...), but 40% of my utilization just dumped off this week.

You have to wait 30 days between apps regardless of whether you apply for a different card. Any application that you submit before the 30 day window will be cancelled out.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 22 of 30
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:
-----> Slightly off topic, but does Amex care if current cardmembers apply for different cards twice in 30 days? I know new account
applications have to be 30 days apart, but if you already have an account does it still hold true? I was declined once (with a
731 and 6 months of Zync history, thanks Amex...), but 40% of my utilization just dumped off this week.

You have to wait 30 days between apps regardless of whether you apply for a different card. Any application that you submit before the 30 day window will be cancelled out.

Any Amex apps within 30 days of a denial will be voided by them. It doesn't matter if it's the same card or a different one.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 23 of 30
shane82388
Established Contributor

So i tried the app for the AMEX SimplyCash Business card and it was pending. I just checked the status online and it said declined.

They said the reason was just simply my FICO score...641 Experian. I thought it would be higher. Oh well, since its jsut a soft, ill just try again a month or two. I didnt get denied immediately, which makes me think i was somewhat close.

Is there any point in trying to recon or anything? Or just try again in a few months?

Message 24 of 30
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@shane82388 wrote:

So i tried the app for the AMEX SimplyCash Business card and it was pending. I just checked the status online and it said declined.

They said the reason was just simply my FICO score...641 Experian. I thought it would be higher. Oh well, since its jsut a soft, ill just try again a month or two. I didnt get denied immediately, which makes me think i was somewhat close.

Is there any point in trying to recon or anything? Or just try again in a few months?

You can only recon w/Amex if the reasons for denial have been rectified. You can't explain it away like with Barclay's.

In general, their charges are easier to get than the revolvers, and Zync is supposedly the easiest to qualify for.  Amex likes to see at least a year of credit history. They are VERY picky about inq and don't like baddies. You should probably try to get your score over 700 before trying for a revolver, and be in the high 600s for a charge (at minimum). As usual, YMMV. These are general rules of thumb w/Amex.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 25 of 30
shane82388
Established Contributor

I just read the denial letter more closely....they said my credit score on FEBRUARY 11th was 641...that was back when i had bigger balances reported on some of my cards...over 50% utilization! I thought that they would use my current report that has my utilization about 20% lower...and all accounts 1 month older!

So they are using an older credit report? That definitely seems wrong!?! Am i right?

Screen Shot 2012-03-11 at 8.51.07 PM.png

let me know what you think...is this recon worthy?

Message 26 of 30
Coldness
Contributor

Since it's a soft pull with current members, they usually just use your last most recent soft. For me, it's usually about a month old and they re-check every other statement or so. If you think there's a SIGNIFICANT score difference, you may want to call them, but you should be confident in your score for a few months before trying. 

Message 27 of 30
longhorn11
New Contributor

Also if you do have them look over your app again, they will most likely do another pull (this time a hard pull).

Message 28 of 30
shane82388
Established Contributor

yeah maybe ill call tomorrow and ask if it will be a hard pull or not. If so, then ill just wait a month or two and re-apply...if its not, then ill go for it...?

Message 29 of 30
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@shane82388 wrote:

yeah maybe ill call tomorrow and ask if it will be a hard pull or not. If so, then ill just wait a month or two and re-apply...if its not, then ill go for it...?

AMEX refuses to do a recon with me. AMEX is extremely picky about its applicant. I have a FICO score of 737 and AMEX denied me three times already. AMEX keeps saying I haven't been an AMEX cardholder long enough yet.

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.