cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If an AU card is closed, what does CR show?

tag
pdxmike
Regular Contributor

If an AU card is closed, what does CR show?

I've read that an AU card will remain on a report after it is closed, unless you ask for it to be removed. But does it just stop getting updated, or is it marked as a closed account?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

Re: If an AU card is closed, what does CR show?

It will be reported as Closed Smiley Happy The history will remain.

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 2 of 8
jim44
Established Contributor

In my opininon it will be marked as a closed acct.  No too sure whether the TL will be updated past a certain time, I think that depends on the lender. A friend was an AU on a Chase card that was IIBK. After 5 years the TL is still showing but it is showing as Terminated. Under remarks it shows Closed by consumer and it shows a 30 day late prior to BK filing. He hasn't disputed this as he has read on this forum that the 30 days late has no effect on an AU's score.

Message 3 of 8
Jarnog
Frequent Contributor

@pdxmike wrote:
I've read that an AU card will remain on a report after it is closed, unless you ask for it to be removed. But does it just stop getting updated, or is it marked as a closed account?

I think it depends on the card company.  For example, DW was AU on my Discover.  Had her removed as she got her own Discover, it shows 0 balance, no payment due and that the responsibility is "terminated".  Keeps the history and such.  Dunno if this is true with every lender but thought I would just show an example Smiley Happy.

Hope it helps a little.

Message 4 of 8
pdxmike
Regular Contributor

If it says "terminated" in the responsibility field, isn't that where it previously said "authorized user"? So does the card now look like a closed primary account instead of an AU card?
Message 5 of 8
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

It will say "Closed" in the account status spot if the account is closed. If someone removes you from there card then in the Responsibility spot it will say "Terminated".

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 6 of 8
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

No i looked at one on my transunion report that i was removed from and it says Responsibility "Terminated" and in Account Status it says " Open/Paid As Agreed"

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jonbuck06 wrote:

No i looked at one on my transunion report that i was removed from and it says Responsibility "Terminated" and in Account Status it says " Open/Paid As Agreed"

I agree with this.  There are 2 parts to it.

1) "Responsibility" = Terminated (instead of Authorized User)

2) "Account Status" = "Open/Paid as agreed" if account is still going.  If closed it will say "closed"

My guess is even if your responsibility is terminated, as long as the account is open and in good standing, it helps your CR.  I'm guessing you do lose the utilization benefits but still get the AAoA benefit for 10 years past the actual account closure (not the date you were terminated as AU)

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.