cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If denied for recon once, should I try again?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

If denied for recon once, should I try again?

I was recently approved for Amex Zync.  On the same day I apped for Chase Freedom and Barclays, both denied.  Yesterday I called the backdoor numbers at both for a recon, and was denied.  Has anyone had luck calling them back a second time?  And what should I be saying to them other than, "I had some trouble in the past, and that's obviously behind me now." etc?

Sidenote:  I called Orch for a CLI and they bumped me from $300 to $400.  Wowzer!  Big Money!Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Re: If denied for recon once, should I try again?

I reconned 3 times for the Chase Sapphire Preferred before I gave up. It didn't work but I admit I was taking too big of steps considering my portfoilio.

Some people reported that it took several recons to get approved.

There are no negatives for trying.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll try to recon again today.  If I can't get approved, I'm not really sure what my options are for another card.  Getting approved for Amex Zync gave me this false sense of well being that I was in the clear and would be approved for prime cards.  Since I was declined for Chase Freedom and Barclays, are there any other prime cards that I would have a shot at, or should I just wait for a while and garden?

Message 3 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll try to recon again today.  If I can't get approved, I'm not really sure what my options are for another card.  Getting approved for Amex Zync gave me this false sense of well being that I was in the clear and would be approved for prime cards.  Since I was declined for Chase Freedom and Barclays, are there any other prime cards that I would have a shot at, or should I just wait for a while and garden?

Wait a while and garden....  getting approved for the Amex Zync with the hard limit is not the same as being approved for NPSL.  I would continue to recon since you've already taken the inquiry, but definately garden... I would say your Ficos need to be above 680ish to be considered for Chase.  Mine were at 694 on EX (lender pull) and I didn't automatically get approved by Chase.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice!

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't even bother with Barclays. Even if you were to get approved by recon, they might just close your account once they see your new cards and inqs report. They really get spooked with any new accounts and inqs. Try one more time with the freedom, maybe with a backdoor number, and if it fails wait 6 months and app again.

Message 6 of 9
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

The biggest problem you are having with Chase is probably related to the age of your current accounts more than your score or credit report. It's been observed here by various members that Chase likes to see responsible use of other tradelines before granting credit on their own. I'm not a Chase customer but I seem to remember that 12 - 18 months is the minimum and 24 months is better.

Don't try to rush things too fast. The Ames Zync approval is great. You've locked in 2012 as your Amex date. And in time they will welcome you to new products. Just maintain responsible use of your credit cards (No overlimits and NO LATES) and you'll be strolling in Primeville with the lucky ones in a shorter time than you think.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

Don't try to rush things too fast. The Ames Zync approval is great. You've locked in 2012 as your Amex date. And in time they will welcome you to new products. Just maintain responsible use of your credit cards (No overlimits and NO LATES) and you'll be strolling in Primeville with the lucky ones in a shorter time than you think.

+1

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice!  When I spoke with Chase the rep mentioned that my Orch and Cap1 had been open for less than a year, so this makes sense.  I have some paid collections that I'm going to try for GW deletion (I was a dummy and didn't ask for this as part of my payment...live and learn!).  Six months from now I should be in a better place.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.