cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If there were no more rewards for spending, will you still use CCs?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

If there were no more rewards for spending, will you still use CCs?

Now that rewards are so deeply entrenched every credit card, would you ever consider using a credit card with no rewards?  

I understand that if one wanted to carry a balance to pay over time, it would be more prudent to opt for a no rewards card; but, aside from that, is there any reason to use credit at all if they were to eliminate the rebates?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
jefftca925
Established Contributor

Re: If there were no more rewards for spending, will you still use CCs?

The only two other reasons I would use a CC for almost all of my purchases would be for fraud protection and interest free financing.  I rarely ever use my debit card any more since I get rewards now and I feel safer using it.  Too many problems with CC/Debit card accounts being hacked nowadays (one just this last week with a MC/VISA processor) that using a card can be hazardous...BUT... a CC provides better protection than a debit card does.  I also like using a CC because I can track my spending a lot easier than using cash.  I guess it's just a convenience thing.  But if the rewards programs vanished then I would most certainly cancel all but two or three cards. 

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 2 of 17
boomhower
Valued Contributor

The amount of fraud going around is reason enough to use a credit card and not a debit card to protect your bank account.  That and 0% offers would keep me using them.

Message 3 of 17
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Some of my bank accounts still offer alright rewards so I would probably use the debit cards from them more often. I would still use credit cards occasionaly because it would still be important to have good credit for other things.

Message 4 of 17
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Yes I would.  Fraud protection, ease of returning items, cash flow at home (one payment with payday). Theft protection.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 5 of 17
marty56
Super Contributor

Yes.  Bill Me Later and any other 0% store cards.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 6 of 17
JaysonT
Regular Contributor

As others stated fraud protection but also rental car insurance, purchase protection, zero fee international, etc all make it worth using the cards even without rewards.

I used the purchase protection option on a 42" TV recently.  It came with a one year warranty and thanks to my credit card the warranty was extended to two.  It failed at about month 23 and after an estiamte for the repairs, I received a check for the full cost of the TV.

Message 7 of 17
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

Yes.  I make some type of purchase daily and often, several.  I don't like carrying large amounts of cash, and I hate saving receipts to balance my check book for lots of small purchases on a debit card.  It's tedious and one mistake could easily cost a $35.00 overdraft fee, or several depending on the banks accounting.  By using a CC for everyday purchases, I only have to make one payment a month.

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 8 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Now that rewards are so deeply entrenched every credit card, would you ever consider using a credit card with no rewards?  

I understand that if one wanted to carry a balance to pay over time, it would be more prudent to opt for a no rewards card; but, aside from that, is there any reason to use credit at all if they were to eliminate the rebates?

Thanks!

Yes. I find it works out very good with my budget to just pay CC's with my money instead of doing the debit card and getting screwed over by the banks with NSF's.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 17
Open123
Super Contributor

For me, I suppose I'd trim down to about 2 cards using them for all the above mentioned reasons.

If there weren't signing bonuses or competing rewards, there would be little motivation to change issuers.  Some triggering event must occur before we endure the dislocation of change from going from one bank to another, or one card to another.

Would any of you change or apply for new cards--assuming you're happy with the ones your using--if there were no "better" rewards or signup bonuses?

Thanks!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.