cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If they ask you why, what do *you* tell them?

tag
randeman
Frequent Contributor

If they ask you why, what do *you* tell them?

I was looking through the board and someone mentioned that they were asked why they wanted a particular card.  It made me wonder, if you are asked, what do you tell them when you don't have a particular reason for applying, you just basically want the card?

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
colindidit
Established Contributor

Re: If they ask you why, what do *you* tell them?

I want to build a relationship I want to give my business to you blah blah lol
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 2 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

^^^ pretty much Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 9
awdsmama
Established Contributor

@randeman wrote:

I was looking through the board and someone mentioned that they were asked why they wanted a particular card.  It made me wonder, if you are asked, what do you tell them when you don't have a particular reason for applying, you just basically want the card?

That is one of the questions Discover asked me.  I told her that my parents have had their Discover for many years and have been pleased with it (true) and that I have heard a lot of great things about Discover lately (true) and I'm interested in their cash back programs (true) and lastly I said "and I liked your super bowl commercials" and that got the CSR and I off on a tangent talking about the game and other commercials etc.  :-)

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Message 4 of 9
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I was asked why I wanted the Chase Freedom when I just got the Amazon card and I told him because of the higher cashback. Unless the card has no rewards I don't see why they would ask such a question. It's obvious people want the card because of the bonus or the cashback/miles it gives.

Message 5 of 9
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

@randeman wrote:

I was only asked this once, and it was 'in person' while at the branch - without even hesitating I asked the CSR to read me the options in her 'drop down' box for this question...she did....and I picked the one that was closest to why I applied for said credit.

"Better Track of Spending"  I know it sounds funny but it was pretty darn close to why I wanted the card - (so that I could better track my monthly bill payments using one card)

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lets be honest. Some people just want the cards because of how they look, the bank propaganda, etc.
Message 7 of 9
randeman
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Lets be honest. Some people just want the cards because of how they look, the bank propaganda, etc.

I wonder if anyone ever got a card with this answer? Smiley Very Happy

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 8 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@randeman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I wonder if anyone ever got a card with this answer? Smiley Very Happy

Would not be surprised, their file must have been just thin then and no baddies.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.