cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you HAD to close a CC what would it be?

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: If you HAD to close a CC what would it be?

Easy one of my 3 QS cards.

Message 21 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hyatt, Slate, Aviator, Blue for Business, SimplyCash - all going bye bye Smiley Very Happy Too many cards for me. Whats left will cover all my spending needs well enough. Except BCE...its hanging around bc I cant let go of the backdate year and the CL isn't too shabby. Maybe I'll have a PC option to something other than BCP which I have no use for not sure. Will see at the end of the year.

Message 22 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be FNBO.  I rarely use it.  Has a small 3k limit.  

Message 23 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

All of my cards actually serve a purpose (some more than others), so I am not inclined to close any of them. But if I HAD to pick one to chop, it would be the WF Platinum Rewards Visa. It is a straight 1% cashback card. Yawn.

That said, it does serve two niche purposes: it has the lowest APR of all my cards (still pretty useless because I never carry a balance) and it is also my oldest open credit line. 

Message 24 of 53
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

All of my cards actually serve a purpose (some more than others), so I am not inclined to close any of them. But if I HAD to pick one to chop, it would be the WF Platinum Rewards Visa. It is a straight 1% cashback card. Yawn.

That said, it does serve two niche purposes: it has the lowest APR of all my cards (still pretty useless because I never carry a balance) and it is also my oldest open credit line. 

The oldest card thing is only kinda sorta important because as I'm sure you know it reports for 10 more years anyway even if closed

Message 25 of 53
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hyatt, Slate, Aviator, Blue for Business, SimplyCash - all going bye bye Smiley Very Happy Too many cards for me. Whats left will cover all my spending needs well enough. Except BCE...its hanging around bc I cant let go of the backdate year and the CL isn't too shabby. Maybe I'll have a PC option to something other than BCP which I have no use for not sure. Will see at the end of the year.

Have the same problem with BCE..sigh!

Sounds like you're going to be doing a lot of consolidating!

Message 26 of 53
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

My USAA secured card. Don't really need it, but I have to hold on to it because of the locked CD used to fund the CL. Once the term is up I'll cash it out to close the card and go for an unsecured card with them.

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 27 of 53
NRB525
Super Contributor

The PenFed Secured card that I got as a consolation prize when not getting a real PenFed card. Used the same HP, and it's not a negative card, it's just as I look closer at PenFed compared to SDFCU and other cards, I'm not feeling the vibe for why PenFed (any card from PenFed) would be something I'd want to pursue.

Next up is the Fred Meyer card. They advertise it as 2 points (2%) at Fred Meyer stores, but 1 point of that you get anyway as a Fred Meyer Rewards customer. So it's a 1% card everywhere. Except at the Fred Meyer fuel pump. So when the 0% expires, I have to determine if this gets much use. We'll see if US Bank sends any BT offers.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 28 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Close Simplicity, Double Cash, BCP any time; PRG after January; could lower CL on Freedom once I pay off the BTs I put on it. None of that would really bother me lol. Wish I could move CL from any of these to my Marukai...
Message 29 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

One of my two lowest credit line cards...

Message 30 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.