cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you HAD to close a CC what would it be?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If you HAD to close a CC what would it be?

@B335is wrote:

As of two days ago, Wyndham Rewards (which I ended up closing).  The limit was unusable, but it was a very easy bonus to get.

What is the chance of Clawback?

Message 31 of 53
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@B335is wrote:

As of two days ago, Wyndham Rewards (which I ended up closing).  The limit was unusable, but it was a very easy bonus to get.

What is the chance of Clawback?

I don't see how they could really clawback the bonus once the account is closed, unless they're going to mail you a bill or something....I doubt it would happen.

Nevertheless, "get the bonus then close the account" is not a good habit to start. 

Message 32 of 53
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

If I had to pick one it'd be the QS (non world) because of combining limits!!! LOL

Personal:

Business:

Message 33 of 53
celluloid17
Established Contributor

For me it's a toss-up between Fidelity Amex, which I no longer have the need for now that I have Citi DC, or my Elan Financial Bonus Rewards Visa.  The Fidelity Amex has a low CL at $3500 and was my most recept app (6/2014).  The Elan card is my oldest open credit card (9/2004) and has a nice $8500 limit.  The Fidelity offers better rewards than the Elan card (2% vs 1.25% back), but again, I don't use either so the point is moot.  I'm more inclined to keep the Elan card (even though I have no inclination of using it) because of its age and occasionally I get offers for BTs that I may need to use in the future and it has a 9.99% APR.  So after all that word soup, I'll vote to axe...

Fidelity Amex

Smiley Tongue

Message 34 of 53
UncleB
Credit Mentor

The decision would be easy-peasy for me... it would be my Amex Green card.  I really wanted the BCP, but app'd for the Green first since it's said to be easier to get (I ended up getting both).  Once next year comes around and the AF comes up, unless something major changes I'll be giving it the axe.

Each time I used the Green card, I feel like I'm leaving 'money on the table' for not using my QuickSilver.  I rarely travel, and honestly can't figure out how MR points could be as valuable (to me) as 1.5% cash back.

Message 35 of 53
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

A card I recently closed was the Amex Blue. Since I have Blue Cash, and Blue Sky, Blue didn't make sense to keep.

Chase Amazon may go away soon. I have the no-longer-issued Chase Amazon for Business card, so the personal version has less use with Discover and Freedom offering 5% quarters.

Otherwise, each card serves some sort of purpose.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 36 of 53
xgac12x
Established Contributor

Probably my BB credit card. Don't use it at all, but that would certainly hurt my AAOA.

CARDS: CAPONEQUICKSILVERONE - $3,000.00
Message 37 of 53
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Just one choice?  I have a list of ones I will close in the future.

Compass Bank - Bad rewards, not very useful.

Amex Hilton Honors -  Not very useful and can't get them to change it to a card that is.

Marathon Visa - I have a SM card with better gas rewards.

Barclay Rewards - Not very useful and never gives me CLIs and I can't convert it to something that is.

BofA - I only opened it for the initial signup bonus.

That Chase card everyone has with rotating categories - Obsolete because of Citi Dividens and Discover IT.  And they never increase the limit or PC it to something that is useful.  Oh yeah, Freedom Card, that is what it is called.

QS card - redundant since I have three.

QS card - redundant since I have three.

Comerica/Elan - really only opened it for my sister to use and to get in with U S Bank.

Only two of these even have a balance, so if I had to close a CC, I would close all with no balance.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 38 of 53
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@xgac12x wrote:

Probably my BB credit card. Don't use it at all, but that would certainly hurt my AAOA.

Yep, that's the one I'm thinking of closing, but it's my oldest CC (also lowest CL thanks to Citi never giving a CLI without HP). Mine is the CC Mastercard, my first unsecured CC post 2010 BK7, issued by HSBC with a $59 annual fee. I earn more than the AF is RZ certificates, but now with much better reward cards including a recently approved Discover It w/ first year double rewards it makes no sense for most of my rewards going to cover an anuual fee. The AF post in early Nov, I have it in my computer calendar to call in late Oct and tell them I'm no longer willing to pay any AF, if they won't waive it I'll close it.

Close runner up is my Merrick Bank Visa, my second oldest card. It was a great rebuilder card and built up to $3100 CL. But with no rewards I haven't used it since last fall. I let 2 small monthly bills totaling under $20 charge to it to keep it active, but I suspect Merrick is going to get tired of that at some point in the not too distant future, that's not enough swipe fees to keep them happy..

Message 39 of 53
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Of all your major credit cards (not store cards) that you own, if you had to downsize one of them, which would it be and why?

One of the ones that I'm only keeping open for utilization padding.  The one with the smallest limit and/or the one that can't be transferred to another card to minimize impact to utilization.

Message 40 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.