cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you can join any military credit union, which one?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If you can join any military credit union, which one?

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
I would advise any active duty military member to join all three.

For credit now, Navy.

Get an insurance product going with USAA, like renter's insurance, or open a Roth IRA.

Do something similar with PenFed.

The name of the game is getting in while eligible and establishing a history. Membership is basically free, other than the $5 share account opening with Navy and PenFed.

And FWIW, PenFed isn't precisely a "military" credit union, and USAA is a federal savings bank, as mentioned above, but I know that's how we all think of these guys.

+1    with heavy emphasis on Navy and USAA.
Message 11 of 16
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I would never advocate taking a hard inquiry to open a savings account. I don't think it helps down the road but some disagree. In time if things go along as they seem to be Penfed will be as difficult to get a credit card from as AMEX used to be. I would agree with what Hauling posted about Navy and USAA.
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Federal.
Message 13 of 16
mt2va
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

I'm helping a friend and he has low 600 scores and only 1 credit card (store) and 1 car loan.

Which credit union would be best to join to get a credit card and refi of car? 

Definately recommend NFCU!

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smallfry wrote:
I would never advocate taking a hard inquiry to open a savings account. I don't think it helps down the road but some disagree. In time if things go along as they seem to be Penfed will be as difficult to get a credit card from as AMEX used to be. I would agree with what Hauling posted about Navy and USAA.

Navy and USAA only soft for membership/savings.

Message 15 of 16
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

Navy and USAA only soft for membership/savings.

OP had some interest in Penfed. For a number of reasons I think it's a wasted pull. There is no reason to open a savings account with them now in the hopes of getting a credit card in 2-3 years. 600 EQ won't cut it.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.