Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you could have any 3 cards...

tag
jaybird201
Established Contributor

Re: If you could have any 3 cards...

@Anonymous wrote:

Schwab Invest First Signature Visa - 2% on everything else AND all foreign purchases because of 0% FETF, redeemed monthly into a great investment account

preach it! Smiley Happy 

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's my 2nd CC... I still cannot believe I was approved with only 8 months of credit history.

I was very excited. I think it is the best universal cashback card!

Message Edited by refskuska on 06-17-2009 06:26 AM
Message 12 of 24
upnorth
New Contributor

One is Chase Cashback platinum. My other dream card is the Schwab cash back.

Today, I applied on-line for a Schwab 2% Cashback, but I got a screen telling me i would be notified in 7-10 days. All 3 of my credit files were frozen and I had temporarily lifted my freeze for EQ. I don't know why they denied it. Do you tink they might want credit reports from all 3 agencies?

BTW, my myfico score on EQ was 798. Is there a chance that Bank of America is not giving new credit even at 798 score?

Message Edited by upnorth on 06-17-2009 08:15 PM
UNFCU Visa Azure $45k, Sams Master Card $35k, Amex Costco $25k, Fidelity Visa $25k, Chase Freedom $18k, Cap 1 Mastercard $12.5k, Kohls $1.5k, Cancelled on my own BA $25 (it was Schwab card earlier) and Chase Saffire $22k. Also have 2 business cards with Chase and 1 Amex Open. AU Target $2500.
Scores: 11/14 EX 801; 11/14 TU FICO 805; 11/14 Van 823
Message 13 of 24
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

@upnorth wrote:

I don't know why they denied it. Do you tink they might want credit reports from all 3 agencies?

Message Edited by upnorth on 06-17-2009 08:15 PM

FIA card services pull Experian. If I were you, I'd call to check you app status and rectify any issues before they reject the app just because they can't access EX. 

AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 14 of 24
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

Love these type of questions, and reading people's responses.  I already have my three faves, but here they are:

Penfed Cash Rewards Visa - Gets all my gas and groceries.  It's also my "go to" card.

Discover More - I'm a rewards junkie.  Their 5% rotating categories are always useful to me.

Nordstrom Visa Signature - Love Nordies, and their Visa Sig is just so shiny and purty to flash at checkout.  Smiley Tongue

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like a Discover More card, a Macy's card and a Citibank card.

I am going to wait 6 months- pay down my credit cards a bit more and apply for one of the 3.  Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 24
upnorth
New Contributor

-------------------------------

chopbrocolli wrote:

FIA card services pull Experian. If I were you, I'd call to check you app status and rectify any issues before they reject the app just because they can't access EX. 

---------------------------------------

thanks for your insight, your were right. I called them and was told that their automated system had already sent me  a denial. They took my permission to reactivate my application, and then pulled up my EX and the person on the phone asked me a few questions like salary, length of credit history etc. He approved my application with a CL of $25,000 and asked if that would be sufficient. I said yes, for sure. I then refroze my credit file. I wont need to open it for  a few more years.

6-17-09 EX FICO 798

Message Edited by upnorth on 06-19-2009 07:37 AM
UNFCU Visa Azure $45k, Sams Master Card $35k, Amex Costco $25k, Fidelity Visa $25k, Chase Freedom $18k, Cap 1 Mastercard $12.5k, Kohls $1.5k, Cancelled on my own BA $25 (it was Schwab card earlier) and Chase Saffire $22k. Also have 2 business cards with Chase and 1 Amex Open. AU Target $2500.
Message 17 of 24
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

My top 3 favorites right now include:

(1) Chase Freedom -- so long as I continue to get 3% on my top 3 categories each month;

(2) AMEX Costco -- unfortunately I dine out a lot and the 3% on restaurants come in handy; and

(3) Discover Open Road -- 5% cashback on things for my automobile like gas, cashwash, etc (however there is a monthly cap)

Now, I just need to find a card for my house.

Message 18 of 24
upnorth
New Contributor

My 3 favorite cards are:

1. FIA Fidelity 1.5% cash back, with a liberal $25k limit. 

2. Costco Amex because of 3% cash back on gas up to $4k and best in class fraud detection and a liberal credit limit.

3. Chase freedom for the gas cash back, because the Costco gas cap is not enough.

in the past I have closed Schwab 2% cash back after BOA took over, stopped using Capital one 1.5% cash back for a ridiculously low CL of $7.5k, cancelled Sapphire from chase for low cash back.  Unfortunately,  all 3 cards above have foreign currency conversion charge. Plan to dump Chase in the future. Capital one would have been my first choice even if they had given me a CL at half of the cash I keep with them in their 360 checking and savings accounts. This is the most financially incompetent bank, unable to determine its best clients or price risk.  Plan to close the Cap one CC after 3 more of no activity cycles, and move cash to Barclays and shut savings account with Capital one.

Message 19 of 24
chwebb1
Established Contributor

That's a hard question! If I had to pick 3, they'd probably be:

1. Amex Blue Cash Preferred - 6% on groceries, 3% on fuel, and 1% everything else

2. Discover It - 5% categories

3. Barclaycard Ring - Always good to have a low APR card.

If I could add another one, it'd be:

4. Citi Dividend - 5% categories and always good to have a Visa. I've never had a Visa not be accepted somewhere.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.