Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you could have any 3 cards...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you could have any 3 cards...

If you could have any 3 credits with an Annual Fee of lower than 100 dollars. What would they be?

Assuming you had the criteria to meet them of course. Also explain how you would use them in each situation.

Eg. this card on gas this on groceries etc.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If you could have any 3 cards...

Discover More:  For general everyday purchases.. replacement for my Amex Blue perhaps (which I wouldn't close)

PenFed Platinum Cashback Rewards:  For gas and automatic-pay items

Chase Amazon:  For all Amazon purchases (I shop there a lot) as well as various online transactions

These three are the only cards I occasionally daydream about.   But I have no intention on app'ing for any of them until next year.   By then, the rewards might not be so appealing.

Message 2 of 24
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

PenFed Cash Rewards Visa - all purchases except two per month, in wallet

Credit Union Visa - one purchase per month to keep active, backup card in wallet

Simmons First National Bank or First Command - one purchase per month, backup card at home, emergency low interest if needed

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 24
GomerPyle
Regular Contributor

I would not pay an AF for a CC because that defeats the reason for having a card.

My three favorite cards which I have and use daily.

1. Schwab Visa---2% cash to my  brokerage account. Most purchases go here.I love free $$

2. Discover More---5% categories I never use it unless I am spending in one of those categories. There are limits on the amount of rewards you can collect. You have to watch them closely.

3. Citi Shell MC---5% rebate on all Shell gas. Right now that is about 13 cents per gallon. I only use Shell gas in my car. I believe it runs better but I do not really know.

The Exxon MC from Citi is another good card for gas. The rebate is currently 15 cents per gallon. These rebates do add up fast. I get a free tank of gas each month.

I have other cards but these are the ones I am using extensively. These are the best rewards and hence the best cards I could find.

Message 4 of 24
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

PenFed Platinum Visa

REI Visa

Amazon Visa

I think I meet the requirements for these cards and am even a member of PenFed with my $5 deposited in my share savings account.  I just don't need any more accounts right now and have a brand spankin new mortgage! Smiley Happy

Ohh and Gomer reminded me I really do need a gas card thrown into the mix.  I used to buy only Shell gas.  Now I'll buy Shell, Chevron with Techron or BP if I'm in a strange place, because they're everwhere and their quality isn't as low as a lot of places.  I think I'd like a BP or Shell card.  But these are in the future for me.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 24
jaybird201
Established Contributor

Discover Open Road: 5% cash back on gas purchases, no annual fee 

American Express True Earnings: 3% cash back on restaurants, 3% back at Costco, no annual fee

Charles Schwab Invest First Signature Visa: 2% on everything else, no annual fee

***Bonus***

American Express Centurion: Compensates for any and all of my inadequacies

Message Edited by jaybird201 on 06-15-2009 02:06 PM
Message 6 of 24
athensguy
Valued Contributor

My list is similar to Gomer's. I have these cards.

Charles Schwab Invest First Visa Signature -- primary spending, 2% back.

Citi Driver's Edge -- Gas, Grocery, Drug 3%, everywhere 1%, and you can double your cash back with driven miles. You need a car that you pay for service on to make this one work. If you aren't a big spender but you drive a lot, this one is the best rewards card you can get. The first year it's double rewards on the bonus categories (6% with up to additional 6% match).

Discover More -- random bonus categories.
Message 7 of 24
MattH
Senior Contributor

Well, the only cards I want and cannot get are the extreme high end ones like Amex Centurion and its direct competitors, which do have annual fees well over 100 bucks, but to the folks who run over $100K through their Amex account every year those annual fees are pocket change.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MattH wrote:

Well, the only cards I want and cannot get are the extreme high end ones like Amex Centurion and its direct competitors, which do have annual fees well over 100 bucks, but to the folks who run over $100K through their Amex account every year those annual fees are pocket change.

Well, you can have the Centurion card to show around if I get the more than $100k per year to spend. Deal Smiley Very Happy?

I guess my favorite cards have already been mentioned. I have the Costco TE and the Discover More, and the last spot would be taken up by either the Schwab 2% or the Penfed Platinum Rewards (which I both don't have). Those rewards cards that need heavy spending are, unfortunately, uninteresting for me.

Message Edited by Ulan on 06-16-2009 09:20 PM
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Penfed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa - get 5% cashback on gas and airfare (temporarily), 2% supermarket

Discover More - 5% categories

Schwab Invest First Signature Visa - 2% on everything else AND all foreign purchases because of 0% FETF, redeemed monthly into a great investment account

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.