Valued Contributor

Re: If you had to just pick one......

@UncleB wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Dont have it cant get it but perhaps the USAA Limitless 2.5 % backcash card
Smiley Happy

+1

The USAA Limitless would be my pick as well.  Smiley Very Happy

If we're still talking about having to choose a single card a (very) close second would be one of my Quicksilvers; I know many have a love/hate relationship with Capital One, but they've been rock-solid for me for over a decade now.

I'll also add that once the credit line on my Limitless starts to grow they will likely be even more firmly in first place.  Smiley Happy

CSR but Cap One would be my close second as well for the same reason.

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 31 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

U.S. Bank Cash Plus VS
Message 32 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CostantinoA wrote:

If you had to pick just one Visa/Master card that hands down is the best card out there, which one would it be?

Best Visa for international use would be the Chase Amazon Visa. 3-5% on Amazon is a good spend category. Add in 2% dining, gas, and drugstores; and 1% everywhere else is great. The best Mastercard for international use would be the Capital One Dining Rewards at 3% dining, 2% groceries, and 1% elsewhere. With both having no AF and no FTF, I would use the two in combination. But if I could only have one, it would be the Dining card. A 1% extra in both food categories is huge, especially when I pay with my card and take the cash of my friends when dining.

Best Visa for domestic use would be the US Bank Cash+ Visa. Choosing the 5% categories makes it a huge benefit. With bookstores working as 5% for Amazon sold products, it is as good for the Amazon user as the Amazon Visa. Add in 5% on categories you can plan to use, such as electronics stores when you plan to get that expensive goodie at Best Buy, makes it a great maximizing card for those who want just one card. I would pair it with the Marvel Mastercard to cover the dining category, as well as entertainment (video games, movie tickets, game stores, etc), so I could put the 2% category of the Cash+ on groceries. But if I could only have one, the Cash+ all the way.

Message 33 of 39
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CostantinoA wrote:

If you had to pick just one Visa/Master card that hands down is the best card out there, which one would it be?

Best Visa for international use would be the Chase Amazon Visa. 3-5% on Amazon is a good spend category. Add in 2% dining, gas, and drugstores; and 1% everywhere else is great. The best Mastercard for international use would be the Capital One Dining Rewards at 3% dining, 2% groceries, and 1% elsewhere. With both having no AF and no FTF, I would use the two in combination. But if I could only have one, it would be the Dining card. A 1% extra in both food categories is huge, especially when I pay with my card and take the cash of my friends when dining.

Best Visa for domestic use would be the US Bank Cash+ Visa. Choosing the 5% categories makes it a huge benefit. With bookstores working as 5% for Amazon sold products, it is as good for the Amazon user as the Amazon Visa. Add in 5% on categories you can plan to use, such as electronics stores when you plan to get that expensive goodie at Best Buy, makes it a great maximizing card for those who want just one card. I would pair it with the Marvel Mastercard to cover the dining category, as well as entertainment (video games, movie tickets, game stores, etc), so I could put the 2% category of the Cash+ on groceries. But if I could only have one, the Cash+ all the way.

I don't understand how you can say that Chase Amazon Visa is the best Visa for international use.  How does earning 3-5% on Amazon help you when you are in a foreign country?  When I am abroad, nearly all of my expenses fall into the categories of air travel, rail travel, hotels, dining, and admission to tourist attractions.  The Chase Amazon Visa only gives you 1% on these categories, whereas the Chase Sapphire Reserve gives 4.5% on the first four categories and 1.5% on the fifth.  Admittedly, the CSR has an annual fee, but if you wanted a card without an annual fee, you could get the PenFed Power Cash with 2% back on all your international spending.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 34 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CostantinoA wrote:

I don't understand how you can say that Chase Amazon Visa is the best Visa for international use.  How does earning 3-5% on Amazon help you when you are in a foreign country?  When I am abroad, nearly all of my expenses fall into the categories of air travel, rail travel, hotels, dining, and admission to tourist attractions.  The Chase Amazon Visa only gives you 1% on these categories, whereas the Chase Sapphire Reserve gives 4.5% on the first four categories and 1.5% on the fifth.  Admittedly, the CSR has an annual fee, but if you wanted a card without an annual fee, you could get the PenFed Power Cash with 2% back on all your international spending.

I don't travel often enough to make an AF card worth the fee. If one is to travel often, the Chase Sapphire Reserve card is top of the list for spending. The Amazon card does give 2% in gas and dining. Making it great for a traveller who rents a car and drives in another country. As for Penfed, someone does have to join through some organization and maintain a checking account. Therefore, it isn't available to the public as a general card. Therefore I didn't want to count it, as I think the best still needs to be available to the general public without jumping through hoops. Also, I forgot to mention the price protection on the Dining card that Amazon does NOT have.

The beauty of the best card, is no one card is best for everyone. My spending is different from others. Some may forget or not want to remember to activate categories every quarter, which means the Cash+, Freedom, and Discover It are terrible cards. People like me don't spend or travel enough to justify an AF, so the Reserve and even Preferred card are not useful compared to no AF alternatives (and Ultimate Rewards points are only worth more than a cent per point when redeeming for travelling). Some infrequent, but loyal airline/hotel travellers may make out having an AF airline/hotel card as the perks like free baggage more than make up for the AF (I prefer to take the cheapest flight or fly Southwest for free baggage which makes it not worth the perks for the very little I travel). While maximizers that travel frequently or spend heavily might benefit more from the Reserve or other AF card, prehaps even combined with other cards that earn the same points.

Message 35 of 39
creditgambler2018
Regular Contributor

TOYOTA REWARDS CARD VISA !! BEST CARD.

CAP ONE QS MASTERCARD 2ND BEST.

Message 36 of 39
Jetboy
Regular Contributor

@happypill wrote:

The only card that really prevents me from going with the BofA Travel Rewards is the SSFCU Power Travel Rewards card, which gives 3.3% on travel, dining and gas.  Travel & Dining are two of my biggest categories, so this card still gets some regular use from me.

How are the rewards paid out on the SSFCU card? Is it cashback or statement credit? This card is on my short list of 1 card to get next year.

Message 37 of 39
Jetboy
Regular Contributor

I found the answer in a PDF from there website.

Cash Back Rewards

a. Points may be redeemed for cash back in $25 increments for either a statement credit or a deposit to the account associated with the reward points.  Credits/deposits will appear on the statements and can be viewed online within 5 business days.

b. You can set up automatic point or cash back redemptions, which will automatically issue a statement credit.

Rewards Program Terms

Message 38 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best choice single card for my spending & lifestyle (young-ish stay home dad with 2yr old married to a full-time nurse & PhD student) Citi Costco Visa wins out over Amex blue cash but just barely. 4% on gas, 3% on dining & travel, 2% on Costco.

If Costco wasn't our consistently largest monthly spend without even including their gas, the winner for me would be Amex blue cash for the grocery %.
Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.