cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you had to recommend one and only one card to someone.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If you had to recommend one and only one card to someone.

@gunnar, since we are talking about credit newbies, you could say the same thing about the QS1, Credit One and First Premier whom all have an AF and don't nesc offer the best if any rewards.
Message 11 of 33
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@gunnar, since we are talking about credit newbies, you could say the same thing about the QS1, Credit One and First Premier whom all have an AF and don't nesc offer the best if any rewards.

That's true. I wouldn't recommend any of those cards as a one and only card, either. OTOH, the CSP is an AF card that's not for newbies, while the ones you list are.

My point is really that there is no ONE card to recommend without knowing quite a few very specific things about the potential applicant.

Message 12 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is why it is good to have multiple cards. Smiley Happy
Message 13 of 33
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

I would generally recommend the Discover It. it has decent rewards, good shopping portal, great customer service, great card benefits, and good BT offers (granted, you need a second card to make a BT).

Alternatively, Sallie Mae.
Message 14 of 33
ddemari
Super Contributor

I would recommend QuickSilver Visa. Good general everday card, easy website to navigate, never any problems with using the card, customer service for visa holders is so much better than customer service for fair credit mastercard holders. And I actually like CapitalOne! lol Smiley Happy 

Message 15 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CS was always the same for me at all QS Tiers. Never had the QS1
Message 16 of 33
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

I don't personally have one but likely a Discover IT. My daughter is in college and that is her first card. It seems to suit her needs well.

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I missing something with regards to Sallie Mae? Obviously it's only valuable if you have student loans, no?

I love my Chase Freedom. Points add up quick! Just had my Amex changed to the EveryDay Preferred, so I'm looking forward to seeing how those points accumulate, especially with the 20% bonus.

Message 18 of 33
ddemari
Super Contributor

The first time I called the number on the back of my quicksilver visa, which is the same number obviously on the back of all the cap1 cards... after I entered the last 4 digits of the card I was calling about I was transfered to US based, quick, helpful, good CSR.

Call that number  using the the last 4 digits of a platinum mc turned into QS1 and its like you are talking to someone in a cave somewhere in the middle east. 

Message 19 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

SM pays real cash back.
Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.