cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you have a $200 CL, how much should you use?

tag
nafelix89

If you have a $200 CL, how much should you use?

Just starting out its only $200. How much should I use in a month to improve my credit?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
manwoot
Frequent Contributor

Re: If you have a $200 CL, how much should you use?

You can certainly use all of it, but only let 1-19% of it report at the end of the month.

Message 2 of 6
mikey78
Frequent Contributor

20 bucks at 10% ut

60 bucks at 30% ut

the less you use the more the fico score

Current score TU 708, EX 686 EQ 715
Status I.T.Garden Till 08/2014
Message 3 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

OP, today you've posted numerous threads asking for advice. Those posts have been replied to and the advice has been sound. It would be easier for others to help you if you continue your post in one thread. In this case you are asking almost the same question ( what is the best way, how do I use or what cc should I get) and I find it very difficult to go back and forth, so I am assuming you will to.

IMO, you would understand more if the thought process flows and questions regarding util ( which was answered a few hours ago) would make since to you now.

Please ask questions. I just want you to be clear on the multiple responses you are getting on multiple threads.

Message 4 of 6
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@manwoot wrote:

You can certainly use all of it, but only let 1-19% of it report at the end of the month.

+1...back when I only had a few CCs with low limits, including a $200 Orchard secured card, I would calculate on my phone 20%. I would use the card each month up to or around 20%, continously subtracting purchases. When I hit that amount, I'd stop spending on the CC and switch to debit.

However, you can charge up as much as you like up to the credit limit, and make multiple payments/push payments through bill pay to reach the desired utilization by the statement cut date...

Also, right before you apply for a new card, be sure that utilization reports 1-9%; this will optimize your FICO!

Best of luck!

Message 5 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@nafelix89 wrote:

Just starting out its only $200. How much should I use in a month to improve my credit?

Depends how long you are waiting to look for additional credit.  Don't drive yourself crazy not using or paying multiple times or before closing etc if you are not looking to apply for any credit for the next 6 months... just pay before the due date... but 2 months before you are ready to apply for more credit, then start to play the game of paying it down before the statement closes or just not using it for more than $15 for that month.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.