cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you have a Penfed Platinum Cash Rewards card please read this ...

tag
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Re: If you have a Penfed Platinum Cash Rewards card please read this ...

@Ron1 wrote:

I just checked and they changed mine into Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa.

Ron.

+1 - same for me.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 11 of 24
Zar
Regular Contributor

Mine changed too but I hacen't contacted them yet. I really hope it's just a change of name but I see on my online account that there is also a link to their rewards page...

Zar Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 24
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@trishdadish wrote:

I just checked. Although my credit card is the same, my account # now shows up as Platinum Rewards, not as Platinum Cash Rewards. And when I go to the product page, all of the cards have "Apply" next to them except for the Platinum Rewards card, which now has a "Request Credit Limit Increase" button next to it.

Same here and I now have a link to redeem points.  Waiting to hear back from them as I was not notified and did not request a change from Platinum Cash Rewards.

Message 13 of 24
trishdadish
Regular Contributor

CLARIFICATION: I just called PenFed. Although their website info. Is messed up this month due to their "re-coding" of everyone's accounts, next month everything should display correctly. It turns out that I didn't get any communications (they said that they sent 3 out) about the changes because my my 5% cash back for gas benefit isn't changing. Why not? Because I have a P-LOC (10K) with them.

Starting this month, for the Penfed Platinum Cash Rewards card, there are 2 versions: Standard (get only 3% cash back for gas) and Plus (same as before, 5% cash back for gas). If you have any other loan product with PenFed (car, house, re-fi, personal line of credit), you were automatically designated as Plus. If they looked at your account this month and all that you had with them was their credit card, they reduced your benefit level down to Standard.

I asked if new applicants will all automatically be at 3%, or if they app simultaneously for, say, a P-LOC, can they get 5%? The answer is, new applicants can app for just the card and get Standard, or app for the card and then a loan of any type and get Plus from Day 1 forward, AND anyone who is currently or will start their relationship with P-Fed as Standard, if they ever in the future also get a PenFed loan product, their loan will trigger an automatic upgrade to the Plus benefit level within 1 month.

If you have a P-LOC and maintain it at a zero balance, you still qualify. The balance owed to P-Fed doesn't matter, for eligibility purposes. So the best thing to do if you don't really want or need to be making loan payments at this time to P-Fed is to just get a line of credit going with them just so you can get the higher gas rate, since having the available credit line costs you nothing.

PenFed says that all of these card changes were driven by Visa, and not by them. I don't know enough about how things work to know whether I should believe that, or not.

Oh, and no one's product type has changed. If you had the Platinum Cash Rewards, you'll still have it and still will get cash back vs. points...although for some, it may not be as much cash back as before. Your info. should display correctly on the website sometime next month.
All 3 bureaus (per Amex CreditSecure FAKO) are still 748 (as of 12/19/13). Cards: Discover It, $12,100, Chase Freedom $3,300, Chase Amazon $1,500, Walmart store $11,000, AMEX Zync NPSL, Costco Amex $14,700. US. Bank Cash +, $5,000. AMEX SPG $6,000, PenFed Plat. Cash Rewards $17,500, PenFed P-LOC $10,000, Citi Forward $5,100, Chase Slate $5,000, Old Navy, $2,200.
Message 14 of 24
resilient
Established Contributor

Aha! Sneaky rascals got me too! I called earlier and a rep said it is a hiccup in their system, and they have been working on it all day. Like Ron said, we will see.

Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 15 of 24
resilient
Established Contributor

I just logged in.....my account now says Cash Rewards again.
Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 16 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@trishdadish wrote:

PenFed says that all of these card changes were driven by Visa, and not by them. I don't know enough about how things work to know whether I should believe that, or not.

I find that very hard to believe as is the bank paying the rewards, not Visa.   I think Visa would only define base benefits, such as for Sig you must provide the following...

Message 17 of 24
Ron1
Super Contributor

@resilient wrote:
I just logged in.....my account now says Cash Rewards again.

+1. It might be the glitch of the system. Now it is showing the Cash Rewards Platinum. I looked at the last month statement and they took away 0.25% cash back on the other purchase starting last month.

Ron.

Message 18 of 24
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@trishdadish wrote:
If you have any other loan product with PenFed (car, house, re-fi, personal line of credit), you were automatically designated as Plus.

"Qualifying products" are listed on their site:

https://www.penfed.org/Platinum-Cash-Rewards/

Loan products are not the only qualifying products.

Message 19 of 24
trishdadish
Regular Contributor

@takeshi74, thank you very much for posting that clarification. I had merely reported what the CSR told me....never thought of researching it like you did! :-)

All 3 bureaus (per Amex CreditSecure FAKO) are still 748 (as of 12/19/13). Cards: Discover It, $12,100, Chase Freedom $3,300, Chase Amazon $1,500, Walmart store $11,000, AMEX Zync NPSL, Costco Amex $14,700. US. Bank Cash +, $5,000. AMEX SPG $6,000, PenFed Plat. Cash Rewards $17,500, PenFed P-LOC $10,000, Citi Forward $5,100, Chase Slate $5,000, Old Navy, $2,200.
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.