Frequent Contributor
mauwow0682

Re: If you're a AMES member would it be easier for future approvals?

Nice. I'm looking forward to getting a revolving card. Do you think they hard pulled you because it was the platinum? From what I've read on this board certain charge cards you can do a product change without a hard pull.

Starting Score: 620 FAKO
Current Score: FICO TU 715 (wal-mart) FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Mega Contributor
Creditaddict

mauwow0682 wrote:
Nice. I'm looking forward to getting a revolving card. Do you think they hard pulled you because it was the platinum? From what I've read on this board certain charge cards you can do a product change without a hard pull.

This person did not do a PC, they applied for the Plat. and it would have been a hard for new application

Fico Scores: EQ 657 Cabelas, TU 662 Walmart, EX 699 Wells (07-27-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Express $300
Over 40 Cards in between :smileytongue:
Frequent Contributor
mauwow0682

+1 with CA. Seems you would naturally go for a revolver.

Starting Score: 620 FAKO
Current Score: FICO TU 715 (wal-mart) FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
Scuba

You are both right.

I should have gone for a revolver but I applied the way I did because:

1) many positive comments by others applying for AMEX so I thought I would strike while it sounded like I could get approved.

2) many AMEX cards offer some different features but I wanted to gain access to airport lounges which only left 2 cards, plat and Delta revolver.

3) MY FICO is no where near the 766 AMEX requires for the platinum but I had one before.  I wanted it because not only did I use their benefits, I wanted another AMEX to add to the ten years AAoA.  My EX free annual CC tells me some of my closed accounts with 17yrs history is falling off soon and I am hopeful this will balance the loss of those years.

4) Because my scores are just barely at 700, I felt somewhat confident they would give me the charge card but not confident they would give me a revolver.  With that uncertainty, I wanted to make my inquiry count. 

In 12 months when the first of the 2 hard inquiry's fall off, I will apply for a revolver.  That will give me a high avg age on 3 cards. But to get that revolver in one year, no more Ex inquiries.  I was surprised AMEX only pulled EX both times.  In the old days, '70's and 80's, I thought they pulled all 3.

I hope my convoluted response helps.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+