Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Im upset with AMEX.

tag
ccb2115
Frequent Contributor

Im upset with AMEX.

So I applied for the Amex BCE and was declined. Only a soft pull. The soft pull was from June 23rd, so I called New Accounts and asked what the recon process was. A CSR stated that if I sent over my updated Experian report (util % was totally different) I wouldn't get a hard inquiry, but if I didn't have access to it, they could just hard pull it.

So I faxed over my EX report so they didnt have to hard pull me, but they still hard pulled me as soon as I faxed over my report!!?! I later found out that they declined me again. I'm not really upset that I was declined. I'm pissed I recieved a hard pull.

I called New Accounts and at first they had no knowledge of the hard pull. But then after some research they said that they had to hard pull my account to confirm the information I sent them was correct? The foreign CSR said "how do we know that you didn't just forge your report? Sorry theres nothing we can do about it" That makes no sense! That would only make sense if they were going to approve me. If what they saw in the faxed report did not meet the requirements even with the decreased util%, why would they still pull my report just to confirm that they should deny me? I don't get it!!

Scores: EX: 793 EQ: 804 TU: 801
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CK_Charles_Lover
Regular Contributor

Re: Im upset with AMEX.

IMHO, I think most recons are a hard pull. At least expect it then be grateful when not.  As to them telling you they wouldn't if you faxed it over, kind of crappy. 

Trans Union Fico (Walmart) ,690 Experian Fico (Amex) 686(Opened 3 new accounts this month. In the Garden)

AMEX BCE ($19,500) AMEX PRG -(NPSL), BARCLAYS US AIR PREMIER WORLD ($10,000), BOA CASH REWARD -($6,000), CITI HILTON RESERVE SIGGY-(5,000), WALMART DISCOVER ( $5,800), CITI DIAMOND ($4,700), CITI DIVIDED WORLD ($4,500), AMAZON STORE($5,000), NORDSTROM VISA SIG($5,000), PAYPAL STORE ($4,000) Amex Delta Gold ($2000)
Message 2 of 7
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

I don't get why you are upset about this. It is common knowledge that lender doesn't accept faxed over credit report. They will pull a credit report on their own regardless. It is also a common knowledge that recon will nets you another HP. In fact you are lucky, considering that AMEX doesn't do recon 99% of the time.

You should have waited the denial letter and see the denial reason (most likely high internal risk score).

Message 3 of 7
ccb2115
Frequent Contributor

I know why I am upset about this. Its because they told me that I would not receive a hard pull if I faxed over a report. That's all. I don't care what is known. Its that I was told over and over again that it wouldn't be a hard pull. I know they don't accept recons, but I know they do if the information on the report that they used is innacurate.

Also, I did wait for the reasoning. It was because of utilization. It was 89 percent on June 23rd but 7 percent on July 30th when I applied.

Message 4 of 7
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I would not imagine they would accept a faxed over report. Like the representative said, you could have altered it. Citi did accept one from me with no hard pull but I was fully expecting one.

Most of the time you should just always expect one and be happy if it did not cause one. Utilisation being high would not be the report being innacurate. In any case, I would just move one. Most of the time inquiries will not be removed and I have experienced that most companies do not care about them anyway.

Message 5 of 7
ccb2115
Frequent Contributor

Well they stated they pulled it again because my utilization was "innacurate". I guess I'm not all the upset. I will get over it pretty quickly. Just needed to vent. Ill just be happy with the Amex I have and wait a while before I try to get another.

Message 6 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

CSRs are very frequently misinformed about credit, inquiries, etc.....Regardless of what they tell you, always expect a HP, but be pleasantly surprised if it happens to be a soft pull.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.