Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important AmEx Backdating Question

tag
Techie03
Established Member

Important AmEx Backdating Question

My mother has had her AmEx since 2012. Recently she received an email from them showing a member since date of '91. Long story short; my dad had an AmEx card back then with my mom as an AU. He died in '94 and she closed the account. Does this mean she is eligible for backdating? If so, how should she go about it? Also, I started as a AU on her account with my new AmEx accounts showing the 2012 date. Can I also be eligible for the member since date of '91. 

AmEx PRG (AU), AmEx BCP 25k, AmEx SPG 8.5k, CSP 10k, Chase Hyatt 5k, Chase Amazon 5k, Xcel FCU 7.5k HSN 3.8k, Barclays 2k, Bestbuy 10k, Discover IT 1.2k, Cap1 $2k, Cap1 $1.5k, Total Rewards 4k.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
amakol
Regular Contributor

Re: Important AmEx Backdating Question

If she was added as an AU in 1991, she can call in and ask to have her MSD changed to 1991.

Your MSD will stay at 2012, when you were added as an AU.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 2 of 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@bonehead88 wrote:

If she was added as an AU in 1991, she can call in and ask to have her MSD changed to 1991.

Your MSD will stay at 2012, when you were added as an AU.

Correct.  Only your mother is eligible for the change to 1991

Message 3 of 5
Techie03
Established Member

Thanks for all your help!
AmEx PRG (AU), AmEx BCP 25k, AmEx SPG 8.5k, CSP 10k, Chase Hyatt 5k, Chase Amazon 5k, Xcel FCU 7.5k HSN 3.8k, Barclays 2k, Bestbuy 10k, Discover IT 1.2k, Cap1 $2k, Cap1 $1.5k, Total Rewards 4k.
Message 4 of 5
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

@Techie03 wrote:

My mother has had her AmEx since 2012. Recently she received an email from them showing a member since date of '91. Long story short; my dad had an AmEx card back then with my mom as an AU. He died in '94 and she closed the account. Does this mean she is eligible for backdating? If so, how should she go about it? Also, I started as a AU on her account with my new AmEx accounts showing the 2012 date. Can I also be eligible for the member since date of '91. 

The email means she was probably already backdated to 1991. When someone rejoins Amex their first card back will often times have the current year, while their MSD that is reported to the credit bureaus will be dated with the year of their first card. If she doesn't want to check her credit report she can logon to her Amex account and verify the date there.   

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.