Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impressed by Barclay's!

tag
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Re: Impressed by Barclay's!

@ryanbush wrote:

Why do people still want to do business with Barclays after all the negative things I hear, the only other bank I have ever heard of holding peoples payments was Credit One...

The only people that concern themselves with the risks of Barclays are the people that know about the risks with Barclays.  The average person, for example, buying an iPad with the Barclays offer at Apple are oblivious about the things we care about around here.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly, I am not real sure how I feel about Barclay! My grandmother got a card through them when she bought my daughter's plane ticket while I was in the hospital. She then added me as an AU and before I even got a card - Barclays called her and questioned her account. Now mind you she has me on all of her accounts and she is on several of mine - so I don't mind that she added me. However I just received an update that Barclay has been added to MY personal credit reports. Is that normal? On the accounts that she "owns" that I am on none show up on my report nor do the ones that she is an AU on of mine show up on hers.

Her payments have all been made on time - if not before time. She is furious though that even though she called and talked to them - her account is basically frozen. She was told to go to the bank and attempt a CA with a teller. I have never heard of this before. We spoke to both of our banking institutions (ST and WF) with whom we have had accounts with for 10+ years, none of them had heard of this being a requirement to lift a hold.

Beginning to think Barclay is more trouble than its worth and am skeptical because they have never called back to follow up with her.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly, I am not real sure how I feel about Barclay! My grandmother got a card through them when she bought my daughter's plane ticket while I was in the hospital. She then added me as an AU and before I even got a card - Barclays called her and questioned her account. Now mind you she has me on all of her accounts and she is on several of mine - so I don't mind that she added me. However I just received an update that Barclay has been added to MY personal credit reports. Is that normal? On the accounts that she "owns" that I am on none show up on my report nor do the ones that she is an AU on of mine show up on hers.

Her payments have all been made on time - if not before time. She is furious though that even though she called and talked to them - her account is basically frozen. She was told to go to the bank and attempt a CA with a teller. I have never heard of this before. We spoke to both of our banking institutions (ST and WF) with whom we have had accounts with for 10+ years, none of them had heard of this being a requirement to lift a hold.

Beginning to think Barclay is more trouble than its worth and am skeptical because they have never called back to follow up with her.

It is normal for the account to appear on the AU's credit report.  

It seems they want to verify her identity.  They sometimes do that on new accounts that add an AU.  She should ask them if faxing in ID is ok.

Message 13 of 17
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

Why do people still want to do business with Barclays after all the negative things I hear, the only other bank I have ever heard of holding peoples payments was Credit One...

Honestly, it is just a personal choice. Some people don't like AMEX with their FR (Financial Reviews) while some don't like Discover for being pretty conservative, some don't like Bank of America, Citi, etc. Every person has a different experience with a bank. 

Message 14 of 17
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Lol Even though Ive been scared, likely due to this forum...Barclay's has been pretty good for me... I paid off my $6000 bt before the 0% ended. I've gotten a free Hilton hotel stay out of it.., and my $7700 CL is pretty satisfactory. They're usually-outsourced CSRs are rather ill-informed, however.

Besides that though, I like them :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 15 of 17
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

youngandcreditwrthy, any plans on app'ing for the Barclays Priceline Visa? It's a good 2% everything card.

Also, while I have your attention, why don't you covert your Discover Motiva to Discover it? You're missing out on the 5% cash back on rotating categories.

Message 16 of 17
surfnspy
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

I've never had anything but positive experiences with Barclays, but if they want to hold off on refurbishing my credit limits until they are sure payment clears then I have no problems with it.  After all, it is not uncommon for seemingly successful payments to be reversed up to a week after supposingly having cleared the ACH.  Besides, if you manage your credit well, have abundant available credit and low utilization, what difference does it make if you have a few thousand $ in limit taken out of the game for a few days?

I have to agree with you about how you manage credit. I don't feel put out if it takes a few business days for a payment to post. In addition to ACH my guess is Barclays does what every other bank does and pools the held payments and earns float on them. A small price to pay for a bank extending you credit. Smiley Tongue

EX: 750 (05/2015) | EQ: 765 (5/2015) | TU: 765 (5/2015)

Barclays World MasterCard CL: $19K
Capital One MasterCard CL: $3.9K (sock drawer)
CHASE Sapphire Preferred Visa Sig CL: $20K
JPM Ritz Carlton Visa Sig CL: $20K
Inquiries: 1 (EX) 0 (TU) 0 (EQ)
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.