Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impressed with Capitol One!

tag
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Impressed with Capitol One!

I am getting ready to pay my daughters college tuition and wanted to use my Cap 1 Cash Siggy Visa. Currently, I have a $5k limit on this card.

Got on chat with them and told them what I wanted to pay and the charge amount was just shy of $20k. Since it is a Signature Visa, I wanted to make sure the charge would go through. The chat rep gave me a phone number to call and I got straight through to a Credit Supervisor. 2 rings and she picked up the phone. She was here in the states.

I told her what I wanted to do and the fact that I would PIF with in a week or so. She "noted" my account so I can charge up to $25k in the next two weeks without an issue. She told me had I not called, this amount over my CL would have most likely resulted in a decline. She was friendly, helpful, and very nice to talk to. I was impressed.

So, I will do the same in January for Spring Semester for my daughter and I will use the same card. It is worth quite a bit of cash back if you include the year end bonus. After I complete this, I think they just might grant me a CLI...  Smiley Happy My goal for this card is a CL of $30k as I have read that some here on this forum have.

I should note that Minnesota Colleges do not charge a fee to pay with a credit card which makes this very nice.

I know there are many here who are not pleased with their sevice but for me, it has been just excellent - so far.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Impressed with Capitol One!

Good to hear about their prime cards, we hear so much about the subprime cards.

Message 2 of 22
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Very good to hear. Another example of how RockinRay is a 'baller. Smiley Happy
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 22
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

Smiley Happy

I am always honest about what I am trying to accomplish. This transaction will be worth about $300 in cash back including the 50% year end bonus. So, $600 cash back after Spring semester plus normal spending - I'll take that any day.

Ray

Message 4 of 22
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I hope you took down the CSR's name. 

Knowing cap1 you'll call up to do it in spring and they'll be like "We would never do such a thing, we hate everyone, bye!" 

Smiley Very Happy 

Message 5 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@RockinRay wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Smiley Happy

I am always honest about what I am trying to accomplish. This transaction will be worth about $300 in cash back including the 50% year end bonus. So, $600 cash back after Spring semester plus normal spending - I'll take that any day.

Heck yeah dude, but you also deserve major props (proper slang for a baller!) for pushing the boundary with Cap One in this case.  Honestly even without the rewards if I'm not being assessed a fee, I pay with a credit card for everything possible anyway and while it doesn't apply to me now, it might in 20ish years so I'm tickled pink to see this.

        
Message 6 of 22
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Heck ya, the slang is a compliment for everything that you are doing. I wish my parents had helped me go to college. I've still got student loans. At least your daughter won't start out her life in debt to Sallie Mae. My parents paid for my sisters college but not mine. That still irks me.
FICO 9:

Message 7 of 22
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@RockinRay wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Smiley Happy

Heck yeah dude, but you also deserve major props (proper slang for a baller!) for pushing the boundary with Cap One in this case.  Honestly even without the rewards if I'm not being assessed a fee, I pay with a credit card for everything possible anyway and while it doesn't apply to me now, it might in 20ish years so I'm tickled pink to see this.

I figured what the heck. They want the swipe fee as it will be pretty good for them. So, we both win.

Honestly, I have started to use this card for anything that I cannot get better rewards with. The 1.5% makes it very attractive. If I can't get more rewards with another card, this is the one that I grab!  Smiley Happy

And - thanks for the props!

Ray

Message 8 of 22
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
Heck ya, the slang is a compliment for everything that you are doing. I wish my parents had helped me go to college. I've still got student loans. At least your daughter won't start out her life in debt to Sallie Mae. My parents paid for my sisters college but not mine. That still irks me.

Both of the kids will have some "skin in the game". We are paying for year one and year four (I have two daughters). They are pulling student loans for the years they pay for. I think this is fair... And, they will have some but not a "ton" of school loan debt when they get out.

I feel for the kids that come out with $80k in student loan debt that cannot land a good job due to the economy. But, that is a different story...

Ray

Message 9 of 22
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@RockinRay wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Both of the kids will have some "skin in the game". We are paying for year one and year four (I have two daughters). They are pulling student loans for the years they pay for. I think this is fair... And, they will have some but not a "ton" of school loan debt when they get out.

I feel for the kids that come out with $80k in student loan debt that cannot land a good job due to the economy. But, that is a different story...

That seems very fair to me. My daughters father and I are not together; yet I know he has been saving since her birth. I plan on taking care or her housing expenses provided that she works at least 10 hours per week as a student worker and pays for her gas money and grocery money. I'm assuming that the money her dad has saved will go towards tuition and books. Her car will be given to her at age 16; which is the volvo. It will not be new. It should be a decent car for her; very safe and if it needs repairs later or preventative maintenance I will take care of that. She is in a unique situation in that she is the oldest grand daughter of grandparents who are millionaires. I very much hope they do not buy her a sports car when she.turns 16. If they do; then I will deal with that when it happens. To date I have probably spent less than 1k total on her clothing as her grandparents have always taken her shopping. The clothing ive purchased had been very minimal over the last 11 years. Dresses for special occasions; a pair of jeans here and there. Gifts etc. Ive only got one child and she will inherit everything when I'm dead. I don't see the point in her graduating with debt. I will refuse to support her.if.she.starts to make bad choices. Only good behavior gets my money. When I die everything goes to a trust which will be administered by my sister who is an engineer and is about 8 years younger than me. I know best laid plans and all of that Jazz; but I do hope I'm in a position to do that later on.

FICO 9:

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.