Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impressed with Capitol One!

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Impressed with Capitol One!

I could do it now if I had to; as my husband and I live well below our means and have worked very hard to get rid of installment debt. We had 5 installment loans last year; this year there are only 2 left. My husband will be going to school in the fall; he is an Iraq war vet and his school is paid for so he will be working part time and going to school full time. It will be an interesting trial run to say the least. He makes good money so the challenge will be to close the income gap between what he is.currently making and what he will be making with a part time job plus va benefits.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 11 of 22
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

So glad to hear that they were willing to work with you on that. That'll be a nice chunk of change coming back to you. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 12 of 22
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@RockinRay wrote:

@webhopper wrote:
Heck ya, the slang is a compliment for everything that you are doing. I wish my parents had helped me go to college. I've still got student loans. At least your daughter won't start out her life in debt to Sallie Mae. My parents paid for my sisters college but not mine. That still irks me.

Both of the kids will have some "skin in the game". We are paying for year one and year four (I have two daughters). They are pulling student loans for the years they pay for. I think this is fair... And, they will have some but not a "ton" of school loan debt when they get out.

I feel for the kids that come out with $80k in student loan debt that cannot land a good job due to the economy. But, that is a different story...

That seems very fair to me. My daughters father and I are not together; yet I know he has been saving since her birth. I plan on taking care or her housing expenses provided that she works at least 10 hours per week as a student worker and pays for her gas money and grocery money. I'm assuming that the money her dad has saved will go towards tuition and books. Her car will be given to her at age 16; which is the volvo. It will not be new. It should be a decent car for her; very safe and if it needs repairs later or preventative maintenance I will take care of that. She is in a unique situation in that she is the oldest grand daughter of grandparents who are millionaires. I very much hope they do not buy her a sports car when she.turns 16. If they do; then I will deal with that when it happens. To date I have probably spent less than 1k total on her clothing as her grandparents have always taken her shopping. The clothing ive purchased had been very minimal over the last 11 years. Dresses for special occasions; a pair of jeans here and there. Gifts etc. Ive only got one child and she will inherit everything when I'm dead. I don't see the point in her graduating with debt. I will refuse to support her.if.she.starts to make bad choices. Only good behavior gets my money. When I die everything goes to a trust which will be administered by my sister who is an engineer and is about 8 years younger than me. I know best laid plans and all of that Jazz; but I do hope I'm in a position to do that later on.

It sounds to me like you have the vision needed as the time comes for her to go. Good planning in my opinion. Of course if needed, we will help for the years that I want the kids to pay...  Smiley Happy

I have offered both kids if they go to community college for the first two years (get the generals out of the way) I would pay for those years and they could still live at home - rent free while in school. My oldest that is back now,  had an excellent summer job with a local Honda dealership here and they wanted her to stay longer! But college is about the friends and the party life and I understand that. My youngest will start in 3 years and it will be intersting to see what she does. She might take the 2 years at community to save the money.

At any rate, we can only do our best - right!  Smiley Happy

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 13 of 22
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

So glad to hear that they were willing to work with you on that. That'll be a nice chunk of change coming back to you. Smiley Happy

Thanks Tinu - I am all about the money...  Smiley Tongue

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 14 of 22
CS800
Super Contributor

Great new Ray. I was In college not far ago and it's good to see Cap One stepping up.

By the way I always knew you had baller status Smiley Happy

Now if I can get Cap One to offer me a PC. But that's another story. On the positive note my APR with them is 9.60% fixed

Message 15 of 22
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@CS800 wrote:
Great new Ray. I was In college not far ago and it's good to see Cap One stepping up.

By the way I always knew you had baller status Smiley Happy

Now if I can get Cap One to offer me a PC. But that's another story. On the positive note my APR with them is 9.60% fixed

I'll trade you Smiley Very Happy mine is like...double that 

Message 16 of 22
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Haha, I understand about the party life!  I was 17 when I started college at LSU, which is not far from New Orleans.  I had way too much fun, which is why I was pregnant at 18 and very serious about my education after that. No way was I going to be flipping burgers the rest of my life while raising a kid!

I plan on giving my daughter an Amex that she is ACM on at age 15 with a very limited spending cap. Hopefully this will help her to develop good habits, who knows. If she doesn't do her chores, she doesn't get to go anywhere with friends, and she definately doesn't get to buy anything cool!

FICO 9:

Message 17 of 22
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Ahem....

GO GATORS Smiley Very Happy 

Sorry, that is all. 

Message 18 of 22
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@jsucool76 wrote:

Ahem....

Sorry, that is all. 

Ha, don't get me started.  I will refrain from being juvenile. ...  Gators make good Tiger Bait don't you think?

I wish a credit card company offered College Alumni Credit Cards.  I would like one for my alum. I actually transferred to a different school my sophomore year. I graduated in 4.5 yrs, which is great considering that I had a baby and I transferred to a school that did things on the quarter system.

FICO 9:

Message 19 of 22
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Ahem....

Sorry, that is all. 

Ha, don't get me started.  I will refrain from being juvenile. ...  Gators make good Tiger Bait don't you think?

I wish a credit card company offered College Alumni Credit Cards.  I would like one for my alum. I actually transferred to a different school my sophomore year. I graduated in 4.5 yrs, which is great considering that I had a baby and I transferred to a school that did things on the quarter system.

Some do. I know tinu got a UCF Alumni CC from BoA...I played the "Go Gators" game there too. 

Some offer cards for programs too, for instance, my sister got an offer from BoA for a special education association visa sig card (she's an education major). 

Edit:

"* Apply for your own LSU Alumni Association MasterCard® credit card with WorldPoints® rewards. Choose the rewards that are right for you. Redemption options include unlimited cash rewards, airline travel with no blackout dates, brand-name merchandise, gift cards – even once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Don’t miss the opportunity to support LSU while earning rewards for yourself with everyday purchases."

Chase offers the UF one. Smiley Very Happy

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.