Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving "number of accounts with balances" aspect of score

tag
mr2_mki
New Visitor

Improving "number of accounts with balances" aspect of score

I currently have essentially all the credit I want/need. I have a small installment loan, and a few credit cards with advantageous rewards programs. I tend to use all my credit cards at least a little bit, because each one is for place(s) or types of places that I shop regularly.

Unfortunately, this is hurting my score because I have a large ratio of accounts carrying a balance.

What would be my best option? Should I open, over time, a number of credit cards that I won't really ever use or want to improve my with balance vs. without balance ratio? Should I stop trying to take advantage of a variety of rewards programs?

One thing that is simple and might work would be paying the entire balance on the cards right before the statement is generated, as I understand that is when the balance is reported. I am not doing that presently because I have been leveraging the grace period, but in reality that secures me more amusement than dollars.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Improving "number of accounts with balances" aspect of score

@mr2_mki wrote:

I currently have essentially all the credit I want/need. I have a small installment loan, and a few credit cards with advantageous rewards programs. I tend to use all my credit cards at least a little bit, because each one is for place(s) or types of places that I shop regularly.

Unfortunately, this is hurting my score because I have a large ratio of accounts carrying a balance.

What would be my best option? Should I open, over time, a number of credit cards that I won't really ever use or want to improve my with balance vs. without balance ratio? Should I stop trying to take advantage of a variety of rewards programs?

One thing that is simple and might work would be paying the entire balance on the cards right before the statement is generated, YES as I understand that is when the balance is reported. I am not doing that presently because I have been leveraging the grace period, but in reality that secures me more amusement than dollars.

and leave 1 card at 1-9% and you will be fine

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 5
MazdaSpeed
Contributor

If you're going to he applying for something within the next few months, pay off all your cards before the statement date besides 1 card and than have that one card report between 1-9% every month for an optimal score, but if you aren't applying for anything, just stop worrying about your ult, because it doesn't affect your score long term, it just matters what your ult is when your report is pulled

That's my understanding at least
fico 747
Message 3 of 5
MazdaSpeed
Contributor

Ninja's!
fico 747
Message 4 of 5
MazdaSpeed
Contributor

Ninja'd*
fico 747
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.