Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impulse Decisions

tag
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

Impulse Decisions

Reading at hundreds of posts, I can see many of us make really impulse decisions. I mean a decison sometime either in anger, get even with you, etc. Or someone else did it, I wanted to do it (applying particular brand of cc, etc.) I am strictly speaking about credit cards. 

Have you make such impulse decision that much later you had realized I should not have done? It could be opening new cc, closing cc because didn't get CLI, etc. 

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
js0319
Established Contributor

Re: Impulse Decisions

Even the decisions I've made with research to back them still feel like impulse decisions. I think it's just the fact that it feels like there is usually some type ding, such as a denial or even just a HP - and that's just for the decisions that could potentially benefit you. 

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Opened Cap 1 thinking they would be the only lender to give me a chance, wrong. Definitely should have researched first - closed after 3 months

Opened VS and SmartConnect bc I was butt hurt about being denied Barclays NFL card and got approval hungry - closed after 3 months

Since my journey only started four months ago things could have been worse, I accept my mistakes. Closing I have no regrets about, opening them I could have done without Smiley Happy Its all a learning experience

Message 3 of 9
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

HF - I agree with you. Sometime its all about learning experience. Other time the decision at the time could have been OK, but later on could not be as beneficial as we would have thought. 

Message 4 of 9
elim
Senior Contributor

impulse? no way  ;]    just 9 cards in 8 months. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee   (praying for no AA and ready to close 1 already)

Message 5 of 9
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

elim - Just becuase the numbers of cards are more in short duration alone could not be result of impulse decisions. I mean for example, I had four cards this year (from April-Sep). Now if those cards serve no purpose, then yes it would be impulse decision. At least if you would had got some signing bonus, it would be actually wise decision!!! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
uswala
Senior Contributor

I think I always act impulsive. I mean 17 cards is too much to carry but I read about good reward structure and I cannot resisit applying.

Message 7 of 9
vpae
Established Contributor

There are definitely a few cards in my portfolio that was a random 'eh, why not?' app. 

But the majority of them I did have planned with approximate date of when I wanted to apply. This may be due to other cards posting or not posting on a specific credit report, maybe an inq aging or falling off, to what balances may or may not be reporting.

There are a few times where I could have waited another week or so but I was inpatient as my scheduled date nears. While we all make impusle decisions, strategically planning has netted me an 18 card streak in the last 2 years without a single denial or having to recon the app, so stick to a plan everyone!

12/19/19 06/11/20 07/02/20
Total CL: $708,900. Largest CL: Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $70K. Apple Card $40K. Chase Ritz Carlton $35K. Mouseover for individual CLs
Message 8 of 9
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

My impulse decision was trying out the shopping cart trick for J Crew. I don't shop there so I only use the card to buy occasional gifts for others.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.