Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Need Of Some Advice PLEASE

tag
trisme11
Established Member

In Need Of Some Advice PLEASE

I’ve been lurking and learning bit by bit from you guys for a little while cause frankly when I got my credit card I knew nothing about what credit scores. I’m 23.

I’ve had my credit card (Wachovia, now Wells Fargo) for about a year and 2 months (August 2009). I’m an authorized user on one of my mom’s credit card which is only about a year and 11 months old. ($4000 CL and she is not using it)

With my first card I started with $300 CL but now up to $900

I signed up for the free trial score watch and checked my scores here and my

Transunion- 727 Equifax-702

(how often do these scores change. I mean it’s already asking me to buy another one from October 15th and I signed up for the trial on October 11th)

According to the report, I’ve had no inquiries affecting my credit score. I had a balance of $770 (16% utilization apparently) the last time (September) it was reported but I've been paying it off since and finished it yesterday. (I don’t know how that will affect my scores now)

I am in need of a new credit card at the moment. I need about a $2000 limit. I will not be paying it off in full the month I use it, but I have 2 jobs, and it will be getting paid off.   My questions are

Which credit card is going to be the best with my scores and young history?

Are the lenders going to look at my scores or are they just going to see my lack of history and stick me with a low limit?

Can I even get a card with that limit?

sorry for the long post Smiley Happy

Fico Scores: Eqifax- 745 Transunion-744 Experian-? --- as of 1/14. I'm sure it's about to drop like a ton of rocks, along with my AAoA
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
hedgeclipper2
Frequent Contributor

Re: In Need Of Some Advice PLEASE

Depending on your income, Citibank might be a good one for you.  The Citi Forward card is pretty good for people our age (I am 23 as well!), and they tend to give out $2k+ lines pretty frequently if they like what they see in your report. 

-----------------------
My favorite card right now: Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa Signature
Message 2 of 14
trisme11
Established Member

I'll check it out, thanks Smiley Happy

Fico Scores: Eqifax- 745 Transunion-744 Experian-? --- as of 1/14. I'm sure it's about to drop like a ton of rocks, along with my AAoA
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for the Citi Forward card with a $4,000 limit with scores in the low 700's.

Message 4 of 14
Peach8321
Frequent Contributor

Do you have any connections to a credit union?  They are usually good if you open an account with them and have several products there (and of course, money).  Which card of your mom's are you an AU on?  Does she have an older one that she doesn't use much that she could also add you to?

Scores can change all the time but if you look at them once a quarter or right before you apply for a product that should be enough...don't forget to google for codes to make them cheaper.

good luck and do remember, pay off your cards as fast as possible (ideally, build up your cash and have it on hand before buying anything)

Current Scores: EQ: 740 (2/7/13)

Starting Score: 799
Current Score: 762
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 14
trisme11
Established Member

My mom is actually with DCU, and she has a card with them. She's messed up a little on that card though, so we're waiting for a while before I can get on there. I'm thinking about opening a checking account with them anyway to get my foot in the door so to speak.

I'm AU on her Wachovia (I guess now Wells Fargo) card with the 4000 limit. I have a card with them too, but mine is just a student one. I called them to ask for a product change since I've had it for a bit now, and they said they couldn't unless I applied for a credit card ( Do product changes require a pull?)

Message 6 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@trisme11 wrote:

My mom is actually with DCU, and she has a card with them. She's messed up a little on that card though, so we're waiting for a while before I can get on there. I'm thinking about opening a checking account with them anyway to get my foot in the door so to speak.

I'm AU on her Wachovia (I guess now Wells Fargo) card with the 4000 limit. I have a card with them too, but mine is just a student one. I called them to ask for a product change since I've had it for a bit now, and they said they couldn't unless I applied for a credit card ( Do product changes require a pull?)

your mom messing up her CU card should have no impact on you getting a card with them.

Citi would be my top pick also if you can get approved, they give out CLI so often it will grow really fast.

Message 7 of 14
trisme11
Established Member

your mom messing up her CU card should have no impact on you getting a card with them.

Citi would be my top pick also if you can get approved, they give out CLI so often it will grow really fast.

Oh no, I was talking about that in terms of becoming an AU on one of her cards.

But yea the Citi is looking really awesome right now Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 14
hedgeclipper2
Frequent Contributor

Keep us updated on when you apply and if you get approved!

-----------------------
My favorite card right now: Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa Signature
Message 9 of 14
trisme11
Established Member

I think I'm a bit apprehensive because I don't know...I think I've discovered my fear of rejection. I think I've narrowed it down to either Citi or Chase. More toward the Citi for the 12 month no interest. I don't know how beneficial the Citi forward would be to me. I hardly go out to eat, entertainment, etc (my life is looking boring as I look at the uses for this card Smiley Sad )

OTish: Color me confused but I've been reading that you should keep uti to 1%-9%. Is this entirely different based on the person? Cause I just shot up 46 points on Equifax with 0%. I mean it says in the report that having that hurt my score. Would it have been higher with a small balance Smiley Surprised

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.