Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In a card closing mood recently

tag
s_rob7488
Regular Contributor

In a card closing mood recently

I am contemplating closing a card I got thru a local bank back in 2008. The card has a CL of $1000 and hasn't ever changed but does have a 12% interest rate (but don't intend to ever have to carry balance). I went to the bank today to see what I have to do to close it, and I would have to write a letter stating that I would like to close the account and sign it and take it back into the bank and they'll fax it to the "consumer loans" department and then close the account. I asked the banker what the process is to get a CLI on the card and he said fill out the application etc and put request CLI. Then I asked what CR they pull and he said......get excited....ALL 3! uhh ok this conversation is over buddy thanks for your time. lol I wasn't that rude but I was a little shocked. I asked if that was a set in stone hard pull on all 3 and he said he would call just to double check and call me back this afternoon which I havent received a call yet. More or less, I have recently closed my discover card that i got the same year as this because they wouldn't budge on my CL and am thinking rather than take a hit on the CR which i absolutely do not want I should just close it. Does that seem like the most logical thing to do? My current cards in in my signature. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: In a card closing mood recently

@s_rob7488 wrote:

Does that seem like the most logical thing to do?

IMHO, No.

If there is no annual fee, just sock drawer it.  Leaving it open and empty won't hurt you any....keeping an open line helps your score.  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.