cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In legal terms, is "refurbished" and "used" the same thing? CC denied claim.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

In legal terms, is "refurbished" and "used" the same thing? CC denied claim.

My credit card (Chase Sapphire Preferred) denied my purchase protection claim saying they dont cover refurbed items but this does not appear in the documentation. They do deny used items coverage however. Wondering if I can get them to fork over the cash. If not, I have 4 CC's with Chase, some with annual fees. Will they care enough to keep me as a customer if I call to cancel all four?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

Re: In legal terms, is "refurbished" and "used" the same thing? CC denied claim.

Not sure about legality, but refurbs are items that have been remade to look and perform as new usually by the manufacturer or someone designated by them. That said, they are used as they have been sold prior to your purchase. There is a combination of new and used or repaired parts working together. The manufacturers warranties on refurb's are typically much shorter than new products. Not unusual to see a 30 day warranty instead of 1 yr on electronics.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: In legal terms, is "refurbished" and "used" the same thing? CC denied claim.

yes, there was a 45 day warranty. it was a tablet PC which broke about 2.5 months after i bought it. the battery expanded and pushed the screen out of the computer. $400 down the drain i guess. still going to cancel at least the sapphire since the annual fee is stupid to pay if their benefits section is this shady.

Message 3 of 13
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

yes, there was a 45 day warranty. it was a tablet PC which broke about 2.5 months after i bought it. the battery expanded and pushed the screen out of the computer. $400 down the drain i guess. still going to cancel at least the sapphire since the annual fee is stupid to pay if their benefits section is this shady.

Have you tried to contact the manufacturer directly. I had refurbished items out of warranty and complained long enough to get a replacement from the manufacturer as good will.  Good luck!

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have attempted samsung sup[port in the past with another refurbished item and they didnt respond. SO I didn;t bother this time arround. The ebay seller (manufacturer_certified IIRC) also told me it isn't their problem. Win some, lose some I guess.

Message 5 of 13
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

My condolences on your deceased tablet. You could call the manufacturer to check on recalls if the battery is original equipment. Swelling batteries doesn't sound normal.

Message 6 of 13
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

At least check with Samsung to ensure he was qualified to refurb their stuff. Might be fraud and paypal could get your money back.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought about that, but paypal hs a 45 day "statute of limitations". Gee, I wonder why the warranty was 45 days Smiley Surprised

Message 8 of 13
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought about that, but paypal hs a 45 day "statute of limitations". Gee, I wonder why the warranty was 45 days Smiley Surprised

You used your credit card though to buy it, right? You could issue a chargeback..

(Not an advocate as I work in corporate for an online business and we get tons of "friendly fraud" chargebacks..)

But to be honest if it lasted that long (2.5 months), it probably wasn't the seller's fault, it just happened to break (bad refurb?). I agree with contacting Samsung and make sure the guy is allowed to refurb the products. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 9 of 13
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

First off Refurb and used are the samething I would assume as Chase and most other banks would consider.  

Which Samsung Tablet was it ?    The New Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 supposedly had an issue with warped backs which was found to be a defect for a few 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.