cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In legal terms, is "refurbished" and "used" the same thing? CC denied claim.

tag
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: In legal terms, is "refurbished" and "used" the same thing? CC denied claim.

Refurbished actually doesn't always mean used. A refurbished item can be an item a customer opened but never took out of the packaging. They can't sell that as new, so it's refurbished. Often this will be called''open box", but some stores do not use that term.

I contacted Visa directlywhen I had an issue and she said they do cover refurbished, but only if it's refurbished by the manufacturer.I'm not sure about a certified seller.

I sell things and can say that if something breaks after the warranty period I most likely will not be inclined to offer a replacement. Things have a specific time frame fora reason. I haveoffered some monetary compensation, but profits are not high enough where I can just eat the cost of an expensive item. Filling a charge back is unfair to the merchant as it isn't their fault that the tablet broke.
Message 11 of 13
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

Re: In legal terms, is "refurbished" and "used" the same thing? CC denied claim.

IMO used is the lesser of the 2 evils and if they would not cover a used good they definitely won't cover a refurbished one. A good can be used without being refurbished. Refurbished typically means it has been rehabbahed, parts replaced, and they have attempted to restore it; almost similar to someone buying a lemon law buyback. You are on notice that not only is it used, in addition to the original owner no longer having it, its been reconditioned.

Message 12 of 13
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:
Refurbished actually doesn't always mean used. A refurbished item can be an item a customer opened but never took out of the packaging. They can't sell that as new, so it's refurbished. Often this will be called''open box", but some stores do not use that term.

I contacted Visa directlywhen I had an issue and she said they do cover refurbished, but only if it's refurbished by the manufacturer.I'm not sure about a certified seller.

I sell things and can say that if something breaks after the warranty period I most likely will not be inclined to offer a replacement. Things have a specific time frame fora reason. Ihaveoffered some monetary compensation, but profits are not high enough where I can just eat the cost of an expensive item. Filling a charge back is unfair to the merchant as it isn't their fault that the tablet broke.

Yes but they can never sell it as "new" 

Ebay it wouldn't count even if it says "Refurbished by manufacture "

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.