Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In need of advice.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

In need of advice.

I have been reading all the posts on HSBC (for the record I am not a fan either) and I am trying to decide if i should close the account or leave it active.  The account has been active since 03' and no baddies, but the limit is only $500 and the AF is $99 a year.  I just called to ask about the AF, to which the CR responded with the usual "there is nothing i can do" and then I asked for a CLI and there was no immediate response.  He said it could take up to 10 days for a response, so I will wait and see what they come back with.  However my other 5 cards don't have an AF and are all 1,000+ limits.  Do I keep it because its been open and active for 4 years or do I cancel it if they don't give me the CLI?
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: In need of advice.

How old are your other cards?

What is your Util?

The answers to these questions can affect your overall picture(FICO).  What about changing cards with HSBC if they will keep your account info on the new card?

Message Edited by Lady_Scarlet on 11-07-2007 12:14 PM
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Card breakdown:
Citi - 07'
Citi - 07'
B of A - 04'
Target - 02'
Cap 1 - 02'

Overall util is 38.7% (kinda high, but working on it)  its down from 58% last month.

The CR asked if I wanted to apply for another HSBC card and see what the terms would be, but I said no for now, just applied and got two citi cards.  I may ask if I can transfer the account over.  This was a starter card back when my credit was in the high 5's.
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

chiwiseguy wrote:
Card breakdown:
Citi - 07'
Citi - 07'
B of A - 04'
Target - 02'
Cap 1 - 02'

Overall util is 38.7% (kinda high, but working on it)  its down from 58% last month.

The CR asked if I wanted to apply for another HSBC card and see what the terms would be, but I said no for now, just applied and got two citi cards.  I may ask if I can transfer the account over.  This was a starter card back when my credit was in the high 5's.

That is just ridiculous.  Apply and see?  They really need to have more authority than being slave to the system to "see" what it would approve.  They should be able to grant simple requests like switching to a card with no annual fee.

And my HSBC said the annual fee was decided based on my credit as well as the apr and limit...so basically, it's not the card product I chose, it's my credit profile.  That is just wrong.  I soooo am tempted to cancel.  Every day that passes I wanna close it.  But I'm so paranoid about closing accounts.
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have a Cap1 older than the HSBC which will anchor your card age -  personally, if they don't get nice to ya, I would close it and take a short term FICO hit (f you have no major purchases planned).  But that is me...

I have an HSBC card and unless  things get better with them they will be gone at the end of the year

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lady_Scarlet wrote:
You have a Cap1 older than the HSBC which will anchor your card age -  personally, if they don't get nice to ya, I would close it and take a short term FICO hit (f you have no major purchases planned).  But that is me...

I have an HSBC card and unless  things get better with them they will be gone at the end of the year

I think you're an actually intelligent consumer.  Rather than closing it blindly or just taking whatever they throw at you....you're waiting to see what type of service you get.  I wish more people did that.
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

chiwiseguy,

I say close it you have two other cards that is older. Put that $99 on other CC's.

On the other hand, do those other 2 older cards have good history?
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both cards have a good history, I got an upgrade from target to there Visa card which came with a cl bump to 1,000. Cap1 just gave me an increase to 1,000 yesterday. I guess my Util would only go up to 40% if I closed it. Anyone know if they will transfer to another card?
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you get them to upgrade you to another card let me know. So far I have only heard of only one person being about to do that but it came with a lot of work.
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

If its a lot of work its probably not worth it. HSBC doesn't seem to be a great cc company anyway. I will let you know what I find out, I will give them one last month before I cancel.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.